Hampton, NH

Was in NewHampshire for several days and tried a few restaurants. The clear winner in Hampton was called Bonta 603-929-7972 287 Exeter Road. Found this restaurant on the way to my hotel and stopped in to look at the menu. Glad I did! The menu changes daily at this superb restaurant. I sat at the bar and watched as some food came up for 4 older golfers enjoying their dinner came out. They went with the bar menu and their burgers and Pizza looked fantastic. They actually gave me a slice of pizza that had a great deep dish crust and tasty toppings. I started with the Spicy beef Spring Rolls- lightly fried with shitake mushrooms and a spicy dipping sauce $12.00. Then I had a half portion of the Maine Lobster Ravioli $10.00, with fennel cream, crispy leeks and truffle essence--superb! My main course was The Local Halibut with a hazelnut crust, wild rice and a side of lobster sauce, $27.00 Some of the best fish that I have ever had.

Also got to try SmuttyNose beer which is brewed in Portsmouth, NH and thought the Porter was one of the best I've had. Liked it so much, I just changed all the beers at DINO to include their Porter.

Two other notable restaurants on the area include Agave-mexican bistro in Newburyport,MA--reminded me of my old haunt Anadale except with more options. Great tequila list, decent margartitas(biased since I make the best :) and cool atmosphere in this quiant seaside town.

I'm happy to hear that good food is now attainable in Hampton. During my four year stay in New Hampshire, the whole state seemed to pride itself on a general lack of even passable dining options- and Hampton always seemed to be the worst of the worst.

I'm happy to hear that good food is now attainable in Hampton. During my four year stay in New Hampshire, the whole state seemed to pride itself on a general lack of even passable dining options- and Hampton always seemed to be the worst of the worst.

Polly's Pancake House in Sugar Hill (way up in the Whtie Mountains!) is outstanding for breakfast by any definition. Still the best pancakes and one of the best breakfasts I've had anywhere. Across the water from Portsmouth, in Kittery, Maine is Bob's Clam Hut. Arguably, Bob's is better than anyplace in Ipswitch or Essex. Great whipped tartar sauce to go with whole bellied clams where frying is almost an art. Excellent lobster roll, too. Unfortunately, over the years Bob's has been discovered and written up in countless magazines and newspapers. The result is five or six expansions. But the clams and lobster roll are still outstanding. Unfortunately, half of the East Coast knows this too.

Edited by Joe H

I'm headed to New Hampshire this weekend for a wedding - we land Friday in Manchester (lunch time) then head up to Wolfeboro for the duration (although lunch on Sunday will be required as well). Does anyone have any recommendations in either of those places (or in between)? Thanks!