Food Carts Along Columbia Pike

Joshua Grinnell

On Columbia Pike between Glebe and Seven Corners are a string of sidewalk food carts. I finally stopped at one of the snowcone stands this past weekend (the stand at the entrance to the W & OD trail whilst biking) and I really enjoyed it. This might had a lot to do with being hot, but the proprietess made me a mixed strawberry, pineapple, and mango snowcone using about half a foot of towering shaved ice that I can only heartily recommend to people out for a ride or just driving through.

A little bit farther towards Seven Corners is a stand with a man hacking some large, green objects with a machete that I'd like to try. Our guess was that they were young coconuts, but I won't know until I try. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what the large green things could be?

On Columbia Pike between Glebe and Seven Corners are a string of sidewalk food carts. I finally stopped at one of the snowcone stands this past weekend (the stand at the entrance to the W & OD trail whilst biking) and I really enjoyed it. This might had a lot to do with being hot, but the proprietess made me a mixed strawberry, pineapple, and mango snowcone using about half a foot of towering shaved ice that I can only heartily recommend to people out for a ride or just driving through.

A little bit farther towards Seven Corners is a stand with a man hacking some large, green objects with a machete that I'd like to try. Our guess was that they were young coconuts, but I won't know until I try. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what the large green things could be?

They could be coconuts still in their husks (the ones you buy in the grocery store, the brown hairy looking things, are coconuts after the husk has been removed). When I lived in Puerto Rico, I used to see them knocking the tops off of the coconuts with machetes and pouring the milk out for the customer. They would hold the coconut by placing the bottom in the palm of one hand and start whacking it (the top of the coconut) with the machete while simulteanously turing the coconut. It looked like it took some good hand-eye coordination to do it.