Lexington Market

Pucca

Hello! I found your forum through a poster on my local foodie board. I'm coming to Baltimore tomorrow, and first thing on the agenda is to get crabcakes at Faidley's. While I'm at Lexington Market, what other vendors are not to miss? (I've used the search function, but there weren't many results)

I'd like to bring a Baltimore Culinary treat home to my family & friends - any specific recommendations? I'll be in Baltimore until Monday morning when I have to travel to Arlington for work, so I don't want to buy anything too fragile or that will go bad until I return home on Tues night.

Thank you!

Stop by Rheb's Candy for an assortment of their chocolates, and also get some Berger cookies at Berger's Bakery. And if you have time and room, don't miss a hand carved warm turkey sandwich at the stand right across from Faidleys. I'm not in the fan camp of Faidley's crab cakes, but I will sometimes crave their fried fish sandwiches.

Here is a link to the market's web page.

Stop by Rheb's Candy for an assortment of their chocolates, and also get some Berger cookies at Berger's Bakery. And if you have time and room, don't miss a hand carved warm turkey sandwich at the stand right across from Faidleys. I'm not in the fan camp of Faidley's crab cakes, but I will sometimes crave their fried fish sandwiches.

Here is a link to the market's web page.

Those Turkey sandwiches are great. It is like Thanksgiving leftovers all year. I started walking over to Faidleys for lunch on on the weekends and after discovering those (cheap) turkey sandwiches I all but forgot about the seafood. Definitely second the bergers. I think I might remember seeing some take away stuff at Faidleys actually, I can't distinctly remember if they sell frozen crab cakes though or aynthing like that. With most of the markets in Bmore all of the cuisine I have sampled is the kind of thing that gets greasy, coagulated or just nasty when reheated the next day or it is ALL about freshness (IE fresh seafood) and is best on the spot. Even the crabcakes get kind of gummy after a day. Now iif you need some discount tobacco, vitamin supplements or knock off Hilfiger shirts you are in business.

Respectfully but I strongly disagree. The Lexington Market is one of a dying breed of great American markets. I only wish that D. C. had something similar.

Faidley's best dish really may not be their crab cake. For me it is also their fish sandwich. (Really glad that someone else has tried it.) I haven't had it in about five years but then it was a "clone" of Benny's from D. C.'s wharf in the '50's. It is everything that Horace and Dickey's used to be when Boyd still owned them.

I just realized that I never replied after my visit. Sorry! I enjoyed Lexington Market, especially since there is not one like it in Chicago. It reminds me of St. Lawrence Market in Toronto.

The crabcakes at Faidley's were delicious. My friends from Baltimore thanked me for taking them to this little gem & loved Faidley's. We enjoyed a Polish from Johnny's, and brought home some cookies from Bergers. Those were quickly devoured! I also really enjoyed the Utz crab flavored potato chips - they had a slight kick to them that I found quite addictive. Thanks for the tips.