"The Voyage Out" (1915), The First Novel Of English Modernist Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)

Ilaine

Rediscovering Virginia Woolf.  I had forgotten how much I like her.  Reading The Voyage Out for the first time.  Available on Project Gutenberg.  Not everything is.  Wonder why?

Probably still copyright-protected. The Voyage Out is also available from Amazon/Kindle for $0.00, which almost always means it's in the public domain.

Don, yeah, yeah, "who's afraid" etc. if she were a bird, she'd be an egret. If she were a flower, she'd be a crinum. Tall, gawky, solitary, fair. I have no idea whether she was these things in real life, except gawky and fair.

But, what a voice. And what an eye.

Don, yeah, yeah, "who's afraid" etc. if she were a bird, she'd be an egret. If she were a flower, she'd be a crinum. Tall, gawky, solitary, fair. I have no idea whether she was these things in real life, except gawky and fair.

But, what a voice. And what an eye.

Not even mildly amusing? :(

Don, more like bemusing.  I saw the movie a long time ago, when I was a teenager.  Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor fighting and brawling reminded me of my parents, except that my parents were not charming or witty when they fought.

Also bemused by the low number of downloads for Virginia Woolf's book.  About a tenth of the downloads for, say, Jane Austen.

What books do professors of literature and/or feminist theory require college kids to read these days?  In my time, Virginia Woolf was on every reading list, and on every bookcase.  Has she really gone out of style?

Hersch, just reserved the two Flann O'Brien books at FCPL, on your recommendation.  I may be out of the boot on Monday but I still look for things to read.

Don, more like bemusing.  I saw the movie a long time ago, when I was a teenager.  Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor fighting and brawling reminded me of my parents, except that my parents were not charming or witty when they fought.

I surmise, then, that you didn't see the Steppenwolf Theatre Company production of the play that had a run at Arena Stage a couple of years ago? A pity. I came out of the performance thinking I'd just seen the best piece of theatre I've ever seen. I joined in the standing ovation the performance received, the first time I had done that since I saw Ella Fitzgerald in (I think) 1972.