The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (1959-), Iconic Art Museum at 5th Avenue and E. 89th Street

Tweaked

I'd love to give you all a review of the art at the Guggenheim, but in the FAQ fine print they note that luggage is not checkable.

So...if you have a few hours to kill in New York City after you arrive or before you leave, and you decide that a museum visit is in order, check their luggage policy (apparently most NYC museums are not luggage friendly).

We found out the crappy way.

For the record, we had no problems checking luggage at the Art Institute of Chicago last year and spent a lovely couple of hours there in between our hotel check out and our flight back to DC.

It appears the National Gallery of Art allows limited luggage checking.  Not that I often wander the streets of DC with luggage going to museums.

Man, I'm sorry that happened to you. Did you cab to MoMA?

There are a bunch of museums near the Guggenheim, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art at 5th and 82nd.

The Met:  Luggage is not allowed into the Museum and cannot be checked in at the Museum's coat-check facilities. This includes small carry-ons and oversize backpacks.

MoMA:  Any item that is larger than 14 x 22 x 9 inches (36 x 56 x 23 cm) will not be allowed in the checkroom and cannot be brought into the galleries.

And all we had was a backpack and small weekend roller bag...not like we were walking around with large suitcases or something.