porcupine

I was wandering through the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery for Asian Art a couple days ago...

This post reminded me, when visiting the Sackler be sure to look at the floral displays by Cheyenne Kim (SI horticulturalist) in the entrance kiosk.  The displays are funded by a grant and change every week or two.  They are always spectacular works of art.  Kim was also doing the ones at the Freer, which is now closed for renovations.

Many visitors to the Smithsonian don't really notice or think about the gardens, but they are an integral part of the experience.  Smithsonian Gardens is a "unit" of the Smithsonian Institution, and the people there create and maintain displays inside the museums as well as outside.  There are plantings all around the American History museum, a butterfly garden, a bird garden, the Victory Garden, the Mary Livingston Ripley Garden, the Enid A. Haupt Garden (and within that the fountain garden and the moongate garden), the rose garden (eek I've forgotten for whom it's named), extensive landscaping around Air and Space, and native plants at American Indian.  Oh, and the Kogod Courtyard as well.

Sometimes there is art displayed in the gardens, as in the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden, or the new urn created by D.B. Renfroe in the Haupt Garden.  The Ripley Garden features urns, benches, lampposts, and a fountain.  And of course the gardens themselves are works of art.

Even in the winter there are interesting things to see in the gardens.  Check out the medallions on the iron fences on the north side of Haupt, or the birch bark decorations on the Renwick Gates.

the Enid A. Haupt Garden (and within that the fountain garden and the moongate garden)

Even in the winter there are interesting things to see in the gardens.  Check out the medallions on the iron fences on the north side of Haupt

post-2-0-63429400-1453322301_thumb.jpgpost-2-0-10067300-1453322330_thumb.jpgpost-2-0-50936400-1453322349_thumb.jpgpost-2-0-32481600-1453322374_thumb.jpg

Buffalo used to roam here, and I have proof that one still does (but there would be hell to pay for proving it.)

the rose garden (eek I've forgotten for whom it's named)

This post reminded me, when visiting the Sackler be sure to look at the floral displays by Cheyenne Kim (SI horticulturalist) in the entrance kiosk.  

I always thought it was some introvert named Ann.