"Pavane pour une Infante Défunte" (Pavane for a Dead Princess, Piano Version, 1899) by Maurice Ravel

DonRocks

I don't suppose there's anyone here who can help me, but I'll try in case we have a hidden musician among us, or a reader stumbles upon it and joins.

My edition of Maurice Ravel's "Pavane pour une Infante Défunte" (*) is marked in 4/4 tempo at 80 bpm for a quarter note. 

This comes across to me as too fast, but I just don't know enough about Pavanes, or perhaps more importantly, the situation for which this was written, to decide whether it's a dance that a young princess might have danced while she was alive, or a dance commemorating a dead young princess - the context makes all the difference. I've always assumed the latter, mainly because of the character of the music itself.

80 as a tempo is pretty perky, and I've always thought of this piece as being a bit more solemn. Is anybody out there who can help?

Here's an article which also raises the question, but gives no answers:

"At What Tempo Does Ravel's Pavane 'Die?'" by Alexandra Marx on henle.de

(*) If you play the version on Wikipedia, my guess is that it's being played around 68, which sounds more appropriate to me than 80, but could even be played a little slower.

The only pavane that's stuck in my head is Fauré's, and tapping my preferred mental version into an online BPM tool measured out between 79 and 81, so 80 seems a reasonable tempo for a pavane, to my ear anyway.  (Fauré apparently had the kooky idea that his pavane would work around 100, which IMHO it doesn't.)  The even slower versions I've heard tend to be plodding.  But I don't know Ravel's pavane, and you're much more knowledgable about these things than I am anyway.

• Like 1