Traveling with Jars of Honey - Beware of a Surprising Possibility with Airport Security

NolaCaine

On 10/10/2015 at 1:37 PM, astrid said:

They took over the space next door and turned it into a great Russian/Central Asian food market. Rows of honey, preserves, pickles and more. My honey collection has gone from unwieldy to hard to justify.

If he wasn't already married, I'd introduce you to my husband. He's on this honey kick that I do not fully comprehend.

That's okay, my husband would not be thrilled with an introduction either.  :)

I recently learned an interest factoid from a friend.  Apparently anyone air traveling with honey will be guaranteed to get their luggage opened and checked. Honey has the same density as certain explosives, apparently, and there's no way to check the difference without a direct physical examination.  And since very few people carry honey in smaller than 100 ml containers, that means getting their checked luggage opened outside of their presence.

I learned this shortly after I had brought two jars of honey (chestnut and heather) from France, through 2 separate flights.  Considering that we did not miss anything from our luggage, including some very delicious chocolates and caramels, I think this speaks well to the honesty of TSA agents.

• Like 3