Starbelly - Chef Adam Timney's Comfort Food Dressed Up as Modern American in the Castro District

The parade of mediocrity continues that consists of restaurants that exist in the Castro.

B and I have date night once a week. We usually alternate between a cheap/moderate place and an expensive place. Last night, we went to Starbelly and I was reminded why we hadn't gone there since 2015.

DSC01286-001.JPG.f495f7e2cd76f24cdfe2629045c47088.JPG

Grilled fig and cress salad with blue cheese, panna cotta, honey and balsamic.

The panna cotta was tasteless and added nothing. And there were literally three figs on that plate; technically, one and a half figs since the fruit was halved. For this, we were charged $9. It could have been dessert.

Also, horrible plating. Try (!) to have some effort.

DSC01288-001.JPG.24e55f811d0ec765971bc566b3362efa.JPG

Bavette steak, salt-crusted potatoes, grilled cebollita, mojo verde.

Steak was slightly chewy and the potatoes served as "filler".

DSC01297-001.JPG.7dbcd0697377b59ce6a810125d1eb96f.JPG

Note the amount of potatoes in B's dish.

I thought to myself: 'The farmers' markets in this city have amazing produce that makes the rest of the country weep for joy when they first taste what's on offer, and THIS is the best you can do for this plate? That's insulting. Really and truly.'

I object to potatoes used as filler. At least they were prepared well.

DSC01294-001.JPG.97ff1f55ddfdef1ac1aeb8e0a486f356.JPG

Halibut, grilled Little Gem lettuce, butter bean purée, chermoula and olive salsa.

The halibut was overcooked and dry, and the purée an afterthought.

Bill came out to $95 (with tax and 20% tip) for barely average food. We went there so you don't have to.

Starbelly
3583 16th Street (Market Street)
The Castro

Afterwards, we went to the Castro Street branch of The Ice Cream Bar for some dessert.

DSC01299-001.JPG.6f52c60319398a68fc8d4e816d1563cc.JPG

Brownie sundae with buttermilk ice cream and mint chip ice cream, whipped cream, caramel sauce

46 minutes ago, TrelayneNYC said:

DSC01286-001.JPG.f495f7e2cd76f24cdfe2629045c47088.JPG

Grilled fig and cress salad with blue cheese, panna cotta, honey and balsamic.

The panna cotta was tasteless and added nothing. And there were literally three figs on that plate; technically, one and a half figs since the fruit was halved. For this, we were charged $9. It could have been dessert.

I think that, for $9, I could like this dish *if* it were served as a diptych - the panna cotta surrounded by the three half-figs, drizzled with honey (and with some grains of sea salt) on one side of the plate, and the watercress with the blue cheese and balsamic (a little more elegantly applied, with some fresh-ground pepper) on the other side. In general, blue cheese in salads is an automatic "No" for me, and this salad, as presented, looks pretty gross - but what do you think about it being divided into two?

If it were plated a little more elegantly, maybe. A little more figs please though. Ditch the panna cotta - that was likely added as "value". The salad doesn't need it. I'm of the opinion that the ingredients have to make sense, and minimalist is best sometimes. This is one of those.

• Like 1