Snallygaster 2017

pras

If you like beer (and this year rose) and you are looking for something to do this Saturday, you should head to Snallygaster at the yards.  You will not be disappointed.  Good beer, good food (trucks), good music, good weather, and all proceeds support Arcadia, a non-profit whose mission is to create a sustainable local food system.

Wouldn't miss it!  Since "Standing-in-a-45-minute-line-for-a-taste-of-Cantillon" is so 2015, I wonder what beer will have an immediate queue when the doors open at 11:30?  Even Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout was available well into the day last year (that was the one with a ridiculous line in 2014 I think).

From a quick browse of the list it looks like the fruit-infused Gose trend has about run its course (this year I see gooseberry, prickly pear and kiwi, just to name a few). Some interesting IIPA offerings that are new to DC and will probably go quickly (Founder's bourbon barrel aged "Doom", Stone is brining RuinTen with a bunch of fruit thrown into it, lots of dry-hopped or casked versions from other breweries).

For the past three years I have volunteered, which has always been a blast.  I am guessing that the heat on Saturday made people stay away from the really heavy stuff.  I was pouring Green Flash, and had a pretty steady line of people.  They brought a Brett aged Tripple, which was awesome and kicked pretty quickly.

Snallygaster is back this weekend, now in a different location on Pennsylvania Ave by the Mall.

Everybody else in my regular Snally crew is out of town this weekend, so I didn't get tickets to make an early day of it.  Since it's now in walking distance I might stroll down when general admission opens to sample the 3 or 4 beers that really pique my interest and then bug out.  This year was going to be the year I volunteered, but alas there are too many other obligations that day.

Apropos of this, I did a column count on the number of times "hazy" appears in a beer description from the spreadsheet posted on the site.  Roughly one out of every SIX beers being poured this year is a hazy IPA/DIPA.  A full 2/3 (!!!) of the total number of IPAs being poured are "hazy" 🤨

On 10/10/2018 at 12:24 PM, TedE said:

Snallygaster is back this weekend, now in a different location on Pennsylvania Ave by the Mall.

Everybody else in my regular Snally crew is out of town this weekend, so I didn't get tickets to make an early day of it.  Since it's now in walking distance I might stroll down when general admission opens to sample the 3 or 4 beers that really pique my interest and then bug out.  This year was going to be the year I volunteered, but alas there are too many other obligations that day.

Apropos of this, I did a column count on the number of times "hazy" appears in a beer description from the spreadsheet posted on the site.  Roughly one out of every SIX beers being poured this year is a hazy IPA/DIPA.  A full 2/3 (!!!) of the total number of IPAs being poured are "hazy" 🤨

Getting to this post a bit late, but I volunteered at Snally and somehow got put at the table for Alchemist.  We had 4 different beers all in cans.  In addition to Heady Topper and Focal Banger there was about 4 cases each of two different stouts (one an American and one an English).  What is interesting, is that the sign printed by the Snally crew identified Heady and Focal as "Hazy IPA".  Alchemist sent two reps to help at the table.  The first thing they did was take the sign and cross out "hazy" and replace it with "American".  Regardless, from the time the event opened there was a line, and we "sold" 90 cases.  It was fun, but opening that many cans really sucks!  The reps (and volunteers) were amazed at how fast it sold out, at times the line was probably 100 deep (no joke).  It was there for most of the day, but always a line!