"Three Identical Strangers" (2018) - Director Tim Wardle's Documentary about Nature vs. Nurture, and Monozygotic Siblings

DonRocks

*** SPOILER ALERT *** If you know nothing about "Three Identical Strangers," close this now, and watch it before reading anything else about it.

I just finished watching the documentary "Three Identical Strangers," and I'm going to rave about it in the exact same way I raved about "The Thin Blue Line" to a friend when it came out thirty-years ago (she saw it, loved it, and appreciated the recommendation - ironically, both she and her husband are members here!)

This is technically a documentary, but it's really a "drama," as well as a masterpiece in cinema, as it uses subtlety to manipulate (and I use the word "manipulate" in the positive sense) the viewer into thinking one thing, when something else is happening. 

In fact, the viewer will think this film is primarily about one topic, when it turns out to be primarily about another. 

"Three Identical Strangers" is available on Amazon Prime now (for a price: $5.99 to rent), and it's 96 minutes of must-viewing. I cannot imagine that anyone wouldn't be able to take something away from this wonderful, beautifully made documentary, whether that "something" is a humanistic micro-drama, or a fearsome, Orwellian, indictment of society - or, maybe something in-between, or all of the above.

This isn't "the best movie I've ever seen" or anything like that, but it is engaging cinema, expertly done at the hands of Director Tim Wardle and Cinematographer Tim Cragg, as well as Editor Michael Harte, all of whom share in the triumph of this important "little" film.

To the naysayer "critics" who are angry that they were manipulated: I thoroughly appreciate having been manipulated, because everything was true, and it was entirely based on the choice of how the facts were presented.

This is a well-made documentary. I found it riveting and thought-provoking--even after a friend revealed the entire storyline to me before I had the chance to see it! I highly recommend watching it (and reading as little as possible about it beforehand).