Novak Djokovic d. Roger Federer in the 2019 Wimbledon Finals - 7-6, 1-6, 7-6, 4-6, 13-12

DonRocks

In a 4-hour, 55-minute thriller of a match in yesterday's Wimbledon Gentleman's Finals, Novak Djokovic barely defeated Roger Federer, the final score being 7-6(5), 1-6, 7-6(4), 4-6, 13-12(3).

The match was so close that, at one point, Federer was serving with two match points on his racket, with the score in the fifth set 8-7, 40-15; yet, Djokovic somehow managed to draw even at deuce, and go on to break Federer's serve.

The match was so close that Federer actually won more games (36-32) and more points (218-204).

Today, Monday, a growing coalition is forming, contending that Federer actually won the match, and that he is the rightful Wimbledon champion.

Reginald Halliday, one of the leaders of the movement, says, "Federer won more games, and most importantly, more points. How could Djokovic possibly be considered the champion, when he didn't even win a majority of these? The rules of tennis are archaic and unethical, and Federer will always be the 2019 champion to anyone of sound judgment."

A representative for the Wimbledon tournament has not yet responded.

• Like 1

No hanging chads, just some hanging drop shots.  You can probably form a coalition to protest, after the fact, just about anything.

On a less sarcastic note, several of my tennis friends & I just had a conversation, completely apart from Wimbledon, about the charm of the tennis scoring system; specifically, that it’s not cumulative the way other sports are & so a player continuously has the opportunity to re-set and start from 0-0, both at the beginning of every game & every set.  All of us played other sports and loved them but, if you go down 6-1 in a baseball, soccer, hockey, football or even a squash game, you need to make up that deficit to win.  I guess that there’s a genius there that I appreciate, especially since it serves to keep butts in their seats a lot longer.