"Who vs. Whom" towards the End of a Sentence

DonRocks

We all know that "Who did whom" is the correct Subject-Verb-Object form of a typical sentence. However, there are two cases for which I've never been quite certain what to use:

(A nod to René Auberjonois, who passed away today.)

As the subject of a descriptive clause (is this the correct term?):

This sentence pays tribute to René Auberjonois, who played 'Odo" on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine."

As the object of a descriptive clause:

This sentence pays tribute to René Auberjonois, whom we all know as 'Odo' on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine."

Are these sentences correct? Is the who/whom entirely based on what occurs to the right of the comma? 

Restated, can you treat these as their own sentences, substituting "he" or "him?" This seems correct, but I've never seen the rule(s) defined.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 11:57 PM, DonRocks said:

This sentence pays tribute to René Auberjonois, who played 'Odo" on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine."

As the object of a descriptive clause:

This sentence pays tribute to René Auberjonois, whom we all know as 'Odo' on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine."

Are these sentences correct? Is the who/whom entirely based on what occurs to the right of the comma? 

Pretty much. In the first sentence, "who" is the subject of the phrase. In the second, "whom" is the object. 

To most of us, "who" in the second sentence wouldn't sound terrible, but it would be wrong. In the first, "whom" would also sound awkward (and would be wrong).

There are some slightly more complicated scenarios, but I can't construct one off the top of my head right now to illustrate.

• Like 3