Garlic Mustard

sandynva

I’ve discovered that there’s a lot of it ( in an unsprayed spot) near my house and that this early in the season, when the plants are coming up, it is ridiculously easy to forage large amounts of.  So now the question is how do I use my bounty?   I made a pesto with garlic, nuts, olive oil, salt, and Parmesan, which was  good but I thought it was a bit flat.   Any hints on things to add to the pesto? 

Alternately, do you have any other favorite ways to cook this green?  I’m thinking of trying  blanched  leaves in a spanakopita, or possibly cooked like I would normally do mustard greens ( Sarson).

There are several different veggies that go by the name and I can't make a blanket recomendation. But here is an old Marcella Hazan recipe for mustard greens that I have adapted to Kohlrabi and various greens. Or it might be a Kohlrabi recipe I adapted to greens. 

Take a pound of greens. Pull the leafy part off the stems. reserving both. Trim the stems of any tough parts. Slice the stems very thinly at the botton and a little wider as you move up the stem. Slice the leaves into 1 to 2" wide strips. {if using Kohlrabi or turnips, slive the bulbs into 3/8" slices, cut in half if too larrge}. Chop some garlic, ginger would be optional. Dice half an onion. Measure out 1/2 cup arborio rice, preferably carnaroli.

Saute the onions until translucent in hot olive oil. Add the stems and season with salt, pepper and red chili flakes. As they soften, add the garlic and ginger if using. When the garlic is aromatic and just a tiny bit brown, add the root veggies if using and let sautee for 5 minutes. Otherwise add the leaves which should be rinsed and with water clinging to them. Cook the greens until they wilt, and add 1/2 cup water and cover. Turn heat to low and cook until the greens are just getting tender. Add water to cover and when it is simmering, add the rice. Cover and cook very slowly until the rice is al dente. The veggies should be fully cooked and soft so they provide the flavor to the soup, there is no stock or broth used. If you like crunchier veggies, plan on using some stock or broth.  Adjust the flavors of the soup w/garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil. Lemon works too. When it is to your liking, add 1/2 cup reggiano and stir well to melt and then spoon into 4 bowls. Serve with more parm on the side. 

Thank you both! I was indeed talking about Alliaria Petiolata and both soup recipes sound great. Incidentally, in case you might be interested, it is also good blanched and then  mixed with either oil heated w garlic and red pepper flakes or soy, garlic and sesame oil. ( just sautéed w garlic made it very bitter, almost as bitter as bitter melon)