Thacher and Rye--new Bryan Voltaggio restaurant at Volt site in Frederick

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/bryan-voltaggio-brings-new-dining-scene-to-downtown-frederick-with-thacher-rye/article_6a140afa-8718-5f70-adae-cd8f3eb25e17.html

Last Friday, the old Brownstone that once housed Volt restaurant on North Market Street was full again — or as full as it could be with coronavirus restrictions.

With anxious taste buds at his call, Bryan Voltaggio was right back where he belonged, managing the symphony orchestra that is his kitchen, where roughly a dozen cooks work in close concert with one another to provide a maximum dining experience for their customers.

“It’s amazing,” said the 44-year-old celebrity chef and Frederick native. “I am ecstatic to be back at my stove cooking, to be here daily, to bring my team back. Food is fun. We are excited about what we are cooking. The feedback has been great so far.”

• Like 1

Okay, so I had one takeout meal from here. The price point is a little high for what Bryan is advertising as a more pocket-friendly restaurant. I ordered the beef short ribs, and while the ribs had a nice smoky smell and flavor they, and I don't say this lightly, got disgusting to me after eating about half. I realize that this may be on me, as I should have expected some fattiness, but some of the slices were very fatty and maybe my body just didn't react well to the taste or the texture of the beef fat. Sides were unremarkable. My dining companion liked his braised cabbage but I tasted it and it was just OK.  Maybe I expected too much? Don't take this as a definitive review, it was one meal, and takeout at that. No little gifts with the takeout, like Volt used to do with in-person meals. No takeout alcohol, either, which was a disappointment. Maybe I just had a bad day, take this with a grain of salt.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1