(H)Angry Joes Hot Chicken

So my daughter texted me about a new hot chicken joint in Fairfax and decided to check it out for lunch today. The name is stupid and appears to be unsettled, as the sign/website says (H)Angry Joes but some staff shirts and other collateral just says Angry Joes. At any rate, purchased three Chicken Sando's to go and was eager to get home because these things smelled fabulous.

My sandwich was spectacular ($8.99) and enormous. Perfectly fried. Great bun. Delicious pickle and slaw.

Also....hot as hell. Like super hot and significantly spicier than anticipated. I ordered all three "Medium" on the level of spice, as there were two options hotter and two options less spicy. I love spicy food and all three of these sandwiches were certifiably hot, and I can think of no reason to order a sandwich hotter than I received. My two dining companions were less effusive in their praise of the sandwich:

Generally curmudgeonly father in-law: "Too hot....my esophagus is burned......grab me a banana and some milk.....can you wash this off?....they don't know what they are doing. You may have ordered it medium but they clearly made a mistake....glad you enjoyed yours. Mine was not an enjoyable experience. Won't be going back" 😀

Wife:  "What the fuck?......I've had Nashville hot chicken. This was Chernobyl chicken.....Dad, grab me a banana.....You should have order the 'No Spice(may be spicy)' option.....I have to get on a zoom call and my eyes are watering. People are going to think I am crying"

So, although the reviews were a mixed bag, ignore those fools and get this sandwich, just don't order anything hotter than medium. In Fairfax next door to the colossally over-rated and poor Duck Donuts.  www.hangryjoes.com 

Chix Sando.jpg

ETA: For context, Grumpy father-in-law has never complained about heat level of a single dish at Mama Chang's. Medium here is H-O-T, HOT! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3