What Do Sous Chefs Earn?

ChefJohnny

Hey everyone! Im the new guy. I was referred to DR.com from eGullet in hopes of getting some more localized info than on eG. My question is this:

I am currently being considered for a Sous Chef position at a very good restaurant in DC. Now, coming from California and NYC, I have no idea what a general salary would be for a Sous at a very respectable restaurant. Salary negotiations always make me a little nervous in a new city. I did a little research but all I am really getting is very general statistics. So, anyone in the business want to chime in with a ballpark figure? ;)

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Chef Johnny

Hey everyone! Im the new guy. I was referred to DR.com from eGullet in hopes of getting some more localized info than on eG. My question is this:

I am currently being considered for a Sous Chef position at a very good restaurant in DC. Now, coming from California and NYC, I have no idea what a general salary would be for a Sous at a very respectable restaurant. Salary negotiations always make me a little nervous in a new city. I did a little research but all I am really getting is very general statistics. So, anyone in the business want to chime in with a ballpark figure? ;)

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Chef Johnny

It depends on your experience and what kind of sous you are going for, am, pm will you be the only sous or one of three, some sous work the line and only do a little ordering and management when the chef is away and others run the place. I have done them all. Long answer but it ranges from 38,000-45,000. Some places include bonuses but your lucky if the executive chef shares with you. By the way I'm hiring.

I graduated with a B.A. in culinary arts, cum laude, at Johnson & Wales. While at school, I was Exec. Chef at a small restaurant in Providence. After graduating, went to the The French Laundry. I left TFL with a sous chef to open El Dorado Kitchen in Sonoma. Left CA for NYC, was at Daniel and Toqueville then left for Europe for 3 months, working in various Michelin restaurants. I come back July 19.

About the restaurant, I dont know too much. I was told that I would be told more during a face to face when I get back. Its a small place, +- 50 covers/night, they have an AM sous, 3 line cooks, and full time pastry chef. Thats all I know at the moment. The place has a lot of buzz and almost all reviews are spectacular. BTW, what's your restaurant like? ;)

-Chef Johnny

EDIT: nevermind, I checked you profile and recognize the restaurant. I've seen your posts on craigslist.