Marseilles, France

Joe H

into the countryside and risk a fortune for cab fare at Jacques Maximin's "Table d'Amis" which is a two Michelin star? At one time this chef was considered the rival of Alain Ducasse and today, he has his own place about 20 km outside of Nice.

For Marseilles, I have an obsession with bouillibaisse. Is this the best: the one Michelin star L'epuisette?

into the countryside and risk a fortune for cab fare at Jacques Maximin's "Table d'Amis" which is a two Michelin star? At one time this chef was considered the rival of Alain Ducasse and today, he has his own place about 20 km outside of Nice.

For Marseilles, I have an obsession with bouillibaisse. Is this the best: the one Michelin star L'epuisette?

Our friend recommended Fonfon over L'epuisette, buts its definately the top of the bouillibaisse world. Fonfon was very good. I don't think you will go wrong in any event.

About eight years ago, we stayed at Petit Nice (despite the name, it's in Marseille) and had dinner at Passédat. Gérald Passédat himself recommended Les Echevins for bouillabaisse, and booked us a table for lunch (which probably didn't hurt the quality of the meal). It's a very traditional restaurant right on the old port. Three hours, a half-bottle of Cassis Blanc (obligatoire avec bouillabaisse), and $90.99 later, there was no doubt that I had just had one of the singularly great dining experiences of my life.

Now, later that night, when I became ill after EIGHT HOURS of eating and drinking that day ... well, that's another story, and one I'll not soon forget.

Maximin is very good, but if I had one meal in that area I'd head straight to Chibois in Grasse.

Cheers,

Rocks.