Welcome Henry Hong

On behalf of DR.com, I'd like to welcome Henry Hong as co-moderator of the Baltimore and Annapolis forum. Don and I have discussed this a lot, and we both agree Henry is a great talent, someone who has an innate love of food, and also someone who actually lives in Baltimore at the moment =D. He has a pulse for what is going on in the city and can contribute a lot to this board, including his passion for making great BBQ.

Henry has been involved with restaurants his entire life; his family has been in the restaurant business since before he was born. He currently operates one of his family's restaurants (Suzy's Soba), and is actively writing about food for several Baltimore publications including City Paper. Click here for a list of Henry's articles, including his amazing feature on Baltimore crab cakes (following in the foodsteps of our own Todd Kliman).

So please join me in welcoming him to our little family =D.

On behalf of DR.com, I'd like to welcome Henry Hong as co-moderator of the Baltimore and Annapolis forum. Don and I have discussed this a lot, and we both agree Henry is a great talent, someone who has an innate love of food, and also someone who actually lives in Baltimore at the moment =D. He has a pulse for what is going on in the city and can contribute a lot to this board, including his passion for making great BBQ.

Henry has been involved with restaurants his entire life; his family has been in the restaurant business since before he was born. He currently operates one of his family's restaurants (Suzy's Soba), and is actively writing about food for several Baltimore publications including City Paper. Click here for a list of Henry's articles, including his amazing feature on Baltimore crab cakes (following in the foodsteps of our own Todd Kliman).

So please join me in welcoming him to our little family =D.

Jamie thanks so much! Sorry for the extended delay in replying, it's just been one of those weeks - both equipment and staff meltdowns at the restaurant, plus, PLUSPLUSPLUS! I had the incredible luck to be interviewed on WYPR this past Thursday by Dan Rodricks. Somehow we managed to fill an entire hour with crab cake related yammering. Here's a link to the show:

http://www.wypr.org/mid_day.html

In any case, I shall do my best to broadcast my pent up food nerdiness in a helpful manner on this very cool forum. I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but boo Chowhound! Ahem, sorry for that lil outburst. Thanks again Jamie for your kind welcome, and of course Don you rock, and Baltimore DR.com regulars - please feel free to knock my a$$ back in line if I screw up.

-Henry

awesome- loved that crab cake article.

welcome henry hong!

@1000yregg-

Thanks so much! It still astounds me that anyone actually made it through that beast of an article. So many words, so many words. Hey quick tip for anyone living in the Hampden/Charles Village/Roland Park area - the Superfresh on 40th has Jumbo Lump crab meat on sale, it is Venezuelan but the tub indicates the meat from Callinectes Sapidus, i.e. our very own blue crab - and I can confirm it tastes like domestic. I've never seen this before, Venezuelan meat is almost always from swimmer crab. And the best, super-secret part is although the sign says the price is $28.99, the label on the tub has it marked for $13.99! As of Friday, they had lots left. Thanks again 1000yregg.

Oh and Call USA-1000!!!

-Henry

Hey, that's great news!

I've very much enjoyed Henry's recent writing at City Paper, and I hope maybe this'll help to kickstart the Baltimore board a bit (not that I've been much help, lately).

@Dmnkly-

Hey there I know you! Though the topic seems to have faded away a bit, I am still planning a trip to Hudson Valley Foie Gras next month to see the operation for myself. I was lucky enough to visit Korea every summer as a kid, where I would spend at least a few weeks at my aunt's farm in the mountainous countryside. Long story short, I've slaughtered poultry, so I am under no pretension that even the most progressive livestock farm is anything other than a place of death. I merely want to evaluate to my own satisfaction whether it is a place of gratuitous suffering. Whew, heavy stuff for a Sunday morning. Anyway cool to see you here Dmnkly - I've been meaning to ask you, what do you have against vowels? Haha and thanks.

-Henry