Caldo Tlalpeí±o

JLK

I am a huge fan of Oyamel's Caldo Tlalpeño. As I sit here, still hungry after a fun, but small, meal at CoCo Sala, it's this soup that I crave, so much so that I may have to rush over to Oyamel for brunch tomorrow.

But I'd also like to try making this tasty soup. I googled it and found various recipes, none sounding exactly like Oyamel's versions, but close enough that I can probably figure it out.

Still, if any of you have made this soup, can you help a girl out (paging Zora!!), give her some tips? Thanks.

I have not had Oyamel's Caldo Tlalpeño. I didn't have time to conduct an exhaustive search through my Mexican cookbooks--didn't find it in the first two Diana Kennedy books I looked in (I have others and one may yet be found). But I did find a mention of it in Patricia Quintana's *The Taste of Mexico*--she is sort of the Alice Waters of Mexico, with a highly regarded restaurant in Mexico City. In her discussion of Mexican chicken broths, she says:

"Broths are a mainstay of Mexican cuisine. They can be transformed by varying just the ingredients used as a garnish. Caldo Tlalpeño is a chicken broth filled with rice, chickpeas, carrots, zucchini, shredded chicken, avocado and cilantro and topped with a chile chipotle."

Her broth recipe is a rich stock made with chicken, veal stew meat and lots of aromatics: carrots, leek, white onion, garlic, celery, black peppercorns and bay leaves.

Sounds delicious.