The Burger Chronicles

zoramargolis

Thanks, that was a fun read. I made burgers for the first time in years on Thursday night, and it's kind of interesting to see the proportions a real chef uses. I did 80/20 chuck, medium ground. Next time (which will be much sooner rather than later, now that I've got a taste), I'll use her's.

My recommendation to my college friend the other night was to eat it with the top of the bun on the bottom -- that is, to eat the burger upside down. The top can withstand a lot more juicy meatiness -- with sauce and cheese! -- than the bottom of the bun -- I can even put my burger down briefly when I flip it this way.
The problem with doing that is that the beef doesn't hit your tongue first then....i tried both ways, and I was surprised what a difference it made.

Interesting contrast to how the burgers are assembled in this article.

Toppings. Top? Or Bottom?

Thanks, that was a fun read. I made burgers for the first time in years on Thursday night, and it's kind of interesting to see the proportions a real chef uses. I did 80/20 chuck, medium ground. Next time (which will be much sooner rather than later, now that I've got a taste), I'll use her's.
My favorite meat for burgers is a combination of short rib and sirloin flap, as recommended in a recent Cook's Illustrated article.

Interesting contrast to how the burgers are assembled in this article.

Toppings. Top? Or Bottom?

Top, with one exception: a single piece of iceberg lettuce on the bottom to act as a moisture barrier and prevent the bottom bun from getting soaked.