Roots Market

dinwiddie

Interesting about price at MOM vs. WF. It must be a function of what we buy a the respective stores, because I find them significantly cheaper.

What's a Roots Market? I'm not too far from Olney and might be interested? Similar small, organic market type thing?

Very small, they have a complex in Clarksburg and are expanding to Olney. I've never been, but they do have a web presence and a friend of mine loves them. I'm anxious to see since I live very near there. They aren't open yet but should be soon as the building looks like it will be completed soon. But be warned, there will be a Starbucks right next door. :o

Very small, they have a complex in Clarksburg and are expanding to Olney. I've never been, but they do have a web presence and a friend of mine loves them. I'm anxious to see since I live very near there. They aren't open yet but should be soon as the building looks like it will be completed soon. But be warned, there will be a Starbucks right next door. :o
I drive by this location all the time, and they used to have a sign announcing they were "coming soon" That sign has been absent for quite some time, and I noticed some time ago that the build-out had stalled. I keep looking every time I pass by, but I'm fearful that for some reason this location for Roots Market will not be...dinwiddie, do you know for certain that they are still planning on occupying that space?

I went there once, about two years ago, in search of Berkshire Blue cheese which I once bought in NYC and fell in love with, and they had some but it had been in the case so long it was really nasty. Bummer. My sense about the place was similar to Dinergirl's above. Good idea but it just doesn't work out in the execution.

The Olney location is open and I popped in today. The set-up when you first walk in reminded me of Bloom--just a little too orchestrated. The produce looked nice, albeit pricey. There seems to be a mix of good value vs. pricey items throughout the store. Beer and Wine for sale, but someone else will have to comment about the selection and price. The marketing may be different than the Clarksville store, given the location. It's right next to the new development tucked behind the trees at the intersection of Georgia and 28, and a stone's throw up the Avenue from Leisure World, where the closest grocery is a pricey Giant. One has to travel in to Olney proper to get to the SFW, another Giant, and a Safeway, and to downtown Rockville, Gaithersburg or SS for TJ's or WF.

I was impressed by the selection offered with some items, such as a prepared pasta sauce (sans garlic) in three varieties. (I usually have to hunt three stores to find even one.) Apparently there is a large selection of gluten free products. King Arthur unbleached AP flour was selling for $2.99, which I think is what it was when I went to purchase it last week at WF, but they were sold out so I got the 365 brand instead. The produce was very pretty, but as I said before, it seemed pricey. I know organic costs more, but I don't have enough experience with organic purchases to know where all the prices fall in line. I was tempted to buy carrots and radishes, but didn't want to risk keeping them in the hot car while I trekked back to the vet in Brookeville before heading home.

There was a cold section of lunchable items, and sushi in a cold case that was prepared in the store that looked very tasty. I spoke with one employee who said the square footage was probably similar to Clarksville, but that Olney definitely has a larger cheese assortment. I think she told me the Grand Opening is July 20th, but it may be the 21st, since that is a Saturday.

If I still lived in Olney, I could see myself stopping by regularly to check specials and such. But since I don't, other than for the Grand Opening, I won't necessarily drive out of my way to go here. If I happen to be in the neighborhood, or planning a special dish, I will definitely stop in to see what goodies they have.