Glass Teapots

lperry

On the heels of the teapot query, it appears I have nearly worn through the base of my ancient, enameled-steel tea kettle.  Electric kettles boil water in a flash in Europe.  Is one worth considering here where the voltage is 110?

For whatever it's worth, I tried saving money years ago by buying an inexpensive, generic teakettle that *looked* like a Creuset (via Amazon), but was in reality a piece of junk. The handle got so hot that you couldn't pick it up without a mitt, the bright red coating on the metal is cheap, and it doesn't whistle (I thought it would).

If I had it to do again (and in fact, I *do* have it to do again), I would spend the extra money and get a quality product. You don't want the product itself chemically bonding with your boiling water, and I fear that may be the case here.

Mine is (was) a Creuset, and the battle seems to have been lost via a few chips in the enamel, probably from being set back on the cast grate.  I was looking at a BPA-free electric kettle, thinking that, with my gas stove, there would be less heat generated in the summer when I make iced tea almost daily, and it may be faster as well.  If it takes just as long, I probably don't want something else on my counter top.

If you want a Creuset or something like it, you may want to consider stopping in at a HomeGoods store.  They almost always have them, and they are discounted enough that you'd probably be able to get it for what your cheap one cost.

If it's for ice tea, maybe just use the cold water method instead.  I use two family-size tea bags to a gallon of water, takes about 35-45 minutes to steep.

I haven't tried it, mostly because I make different sorts of teas, and the usual is green tea mixed with various berry and citrus teas.  I use PG Tips for Mr. lperry's tea, and put in cubes of Meyer lemon juice form the freezer.  I could probably get by with doing that one with cold water.  Thanks for the idea. :)

I own two electric kettles--one for home and one I keep at my desk to make coffee with. Recommend. I haven't noticed any speed differences in the US (although true confessions, I've been here 16 years, so it's possible I'm just acculturated.) I can't run my kettle and my toaster oven at the same time, however.

• Like 1

To respond to your original question about the durability of glass teapots, I don't know of any from personal experience that last, and have never heard of one.

FWIW, I had a similar issue related to glass french press coffee pots.  I gave up on glass and found a stainless thermal one on Amazon that works pretty well.  At least it isn't likely to shatter, or even chip.

^ I've had an inexpensive, Bonjour brand French press for nearly 20 years.  I can't even believe that, but I remember when I got it and just did the math.  The teapots I've seen are made of glass that seems much more fragile, and I also doubt it's borosilicate.  The reason I want one is that my students and colleagues in China found out that I enjoy tea, so I have been gifted all sorts of interesting things that move and unfurl in the water, and watching the leaves dance is part of the teamaking process.  I found a little one at Super H the other day for a mere $6 and picked it up.  If I break it, I won't be too upset about it.