Offering Single Floss Packets at Restaurants

Armand

Wow. My kind of thread.

Armand, will you be offering unwaxed extra-fine floss? Because that's the only kind I will tolerate. Yes I am a floss snob. :lol:

On a more serious note, why has extra-fine floss become increasingly more difficult to find? It's gotten to the point in the last year where I have to mail-order the stuff over the Internet. This, I am not making up.

I am a fanatical flosser because I am ultra-sensitive about food between my teeth - it just bothers the hell out of me - & toothpicks simply won't do the job with the structure of my teeth. However, as with sex, I never do it in public; if I can't wait till I get home, I'll do it in the restroom.

(OK the men's room is still semi-public, but I'm not gonna go into a stall to floss.)

Thanks for your support!

I'm also one of those people who aren't comfortable with food stuck between my teeth.

The world is divided among people with spacey teeth who catch a lot of food and love what floss can do for them, and those people with tight teeth, who don't catch much food between their teeth and have trouble even getting floss between their teeth. These tight tooth people wonder what flossers are so excited about. (I guess there are also people with false teeth, but they're another story).

People with tight teeth often like fine floss, but monofilament flosses like Crest/Glide or those made of Tyvek (also called PTFE) are often adequate. Monofilament flosses slide between teeth easier than polyfilaments and they don't shread.

At the moment I don't know if extra fine will be offered, but I know PTFE is an option.

For the general audience, I recommend PTFE, since it's more likely to be useful by the widest audience.

A.

PS. Restaurants could also post "no flossing" signs or write on the packets "Please floss in private" to avoid having naive flossers annoy others.

Wow. My kind of thread.

Armand, will you be offering unwaxed extra-fine floss? Because that's the only kind I will tolerate. Yes I am a floss snob. :lol:

On a more serious note, why has extra-fine floss become increasingly more difficult to find? It's gotten to the point in the last year where I have to mail-order the stuff over the Internet. This, I am not making up.

I am a fanatical flosser because I am ultra-sensitive about food between my teeth - it just bothers the hell out of me - & toothpicks simply won't do the job with the structure of my teeth. However, as with sex, I never do it in public; if I can't wait till I get home, I'll do it in the restroom.

(OK the men's room is still semi-public, but I'm not gonna go into a stall to floss.)

People with tight teeth often like fine floss, but monofilament flosses like Crest/Glide or those made of Tyvek (also called PTFE) are often adequate. Monofilament flosses slide between teeth easier than polyfilaments and they don't shread.

At the moment I don't know if extra fine will be offered, but I know PTFE is an option.

For the general audience, I recommend PTFE, since it's more likely to be useful by the widest audience.

Actually, Tyvek is spun polyolefin. I've never seen Tyvek floss. I like Glide, which is PTFE floss (not surprisingly, developed by the people who make Gore-Tex, which is a PTFE membrane). Great stuff, but still a mess to wind around the fingers. Gubeen and I now just keep a jar of Dentek picks handy.

Then again, I'm a notorious non-flosser. Too lazy, unless there's something stuck between my teeth. My previous dentist turned me onto the Braun/Oral-B electric toothbrush back in '92, saying that he'd noticed it resulted in much less plaque among his patients who failed to floss. It's worked great for me, but your mileage may vary.