Inexpensive Produce Stands

KarynMC

Hi! I'm new ...

Anyway, I typically go to the Falls Church Farmer's Market ... but as a professional writer I'm finding the fruit prices a bit out of my price range ($5 for 3 apples? $3 for 3 small peaches?). I am originally from Frederick, MD, so I'm used to getting bushels of fruit for $20!

Someone suggested that maybe local produce stands will sell fruit for less ... but I haven't seen any and don't know where to start looking. Any suggestions?

Someone suggested that maybe local produce stands will sell fruit for less ... but I haven't seen any and don't know where to start looking. Any suggestions?

1) Go at the very end of a farmers market--rather than truck their produce back home, many farmers will be open to negotiating slightly lower prices. 2) Check for culls and seconds--some places will have a box set aside for fruit that is misshapen, bruised or cracked that they sell at a big discount, and you can often find perfectly usable produce. It may not last as long, but if you can use it within a couple of days of the market, it's a good deal. 3) If you are really interested in cheap prices for decent fresh produce, the Asian markets are the best places to shop: near you--H Mart (Merrifield), Grand Mart (Seven Corners), Great Wall (Near H Mart), Super H (Fairfax). Also, other that the Asian markets, Shoppers Food Warehouse (Seven Corners), of all of the local big supermarkets, has the cheapest prices for produce.

Ask if they have a bushel or half bushel price. I always buy my apples this way at the Arlington market and it is way more cost effective than getting just a couple pounds.

Also, consider making the trek back to Frederick now and then and loading up on fruit. My in-laws live in PA and when we go visit, I'll frequently buy a bushel of peaches in the summer or apples in the fall. Peaches picked when they're still slightly firm but look ripe (color-wise) will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks. They'll ripen on the counter in a day or so and be absolutely perfect and juicy. Apples will keep for months in the fridge.