Freezing Leftover Fried Rice

mame11

Can I freeze leftover homemade fried rice? The recipe made enough for an army. Look forward to the advice...
I can't imagine why not. I've frozen suppli with great success. Technically that's a ball of rice that's been fried rather than fried rice, but... it should still work. Just refry to reheat and it should be fine, or even just bake in the oven. Or defrost in the microwave and mix into a casserole. Or wrap in foil with some soy sauce or something and cook on the grill; grill up some veggies and meat along with it and toss the whole thing with toasted sesame seeds. Or, before freezing, toss into the fridge, mix with a binder (egg, garlic, scallions, ginger mixed in a food processor), coat with some tempura batter, and fry to make asian-style suppli. Or do the same without a coating, but pour the binder (plus flour and baking powder) over the rice just enough to cover and drop by the spoonful into a hot pan to panfry some asian rice fritters. Serve with soy sauce or mirin or something.

Okay... I'm going to stop brainstorming now. :rolleyes:

Can I freeze leftover homemade fried rice? The recipe made enough for an army. Look forward to the advice...

Place in serving-sized freezer bags; flatten out and freeze. You can stack the flattened bags on top of each other, but make sure to write the food and date on the bag. (I've thrown away too many mystery packages to forget that critical step.)

To "revive" your frozen fried rice, unzip the bag, throw it into a microwave, full power, for a minute. You will probably not need more time than a minute, maybe 20 seconds more, but test at a minute. (And some folks may say "never microwave in plastic", in which case, you can cut away the bag to leave the grains behind before you microwave.)

You'll be amazed how tasty the grains remain.