Pipeline Porter

Pat

I picked up some limited release Pipeline Porter (Kona Brewing Company) at Total Wine recently. When i saw it, I thought it would be good for a braised short ribs in porter recipe I was going to make. Wow. This beer smells fantastic, and the coffee element enhances the pairing with beef.

While I don't know how many braises I'll be doing over the winter, there will be some, and I'm wondering about stacking a case or two in the basement for those purposes. How long does something like this keep fresh? I don't know that I'd be drinking much of it, but the cooking applications alone would make it worth a small investment. I just don't want to have more than I can use while it's at its best.

It depends on the beer. I would check the brewery's web site.

As a general rule, I wouldn't expect beer at cellar temps to stay tasty for more than a couple of months.

Plus, if you are going to store in basement, don't buy it cold.

It depends on the beer. I would check the brewery's web site.

As a general rule, I wouldn't expect beer at cellar temps to stay tasty for more than a couple of months.

Plus, if you are going to store in basement, don't buy it cold.

Higher ABV beers will keep (and sometimes improve) longer, but Pipeline is only 5.3%. Probably best to keep it no longer than a few months as JPW wisely recommends. Also, fwiw, I remember seeing that beer around this Spring, so it may not be as limited release as they'd like you to believe (or maybe your retailer has already had it for several months?). All the more reason to buy from a knowledgeable retailer you trust :( (cue Joe Riley, stage left)

Higher ABV beers will keep (and sometimes improve) longer, but Pipeline is only 5.3%. Probably best to keep it no longer than a few months as JPW wisely recommends. Also, fwiw, I remember seeing that beer around this Spring, so it may not be as limited release as they'd like you to believe (or maybe your retailer has already had it for several months?). All the more reason to buy from a knowledgeable retailer you trust :( (cue Joe Riley, stage left)

This is the first I've noticed it out on display, but it may just be that it's now displayed more prominently than before. When I checked the company's website, it said the beer is available from September through March. It's unclear if it's being produced through that whole period or if the spring stuff has been sitting around. (I need to look again more closely at the site to see if there are recommendations on home storage.) I think I'll go ahead and buy a case now and then another one later if I need it, figuring that the production/sales chain probably provides more optimal storage conditions than what I have.

Thanks for the replies.