Good Place For A Cigar And A Drink In DC?

jaimetown

The smoking ban in VA reminded me that I've been meaning to go have a cigar and a drink with a buddy of mine - are there any places you can still do this in DC? I'm not looking for a trendy place where techno music thumps your brain. Just a classy place where I can order a drink or two and catch up with my friend. Or are we relegated to my backyard in December, where we're smoking with our fleeces on, and cradling our port glasses from freezing over?

Thanks!

The smoking ban in VA reminded me that I've been meaning to go have a cigar and a drink with a buddy of mine - are there any places you can still do this in DC? I'm not looking for a trendy place where techno music thumps your brain. Just a classy place where I can order a drink or two and catch up with my friend. Or are we relegated to my backyard in December, where we're smoking with our fleeces on, and cradling our port glasses from freezing over?

Thanks!

Shelly's Back Room is what I would recommend off the top of my head. I've had scotch and cigars there with my father and it sounds like it'd be close to what you're looking for. The food isn't good, but if you're just going for a smoke and a few drinks it would work.

I believe that Aroma in Cleveland Park near Dino's and Ozio on M Street downtown near Johanna's (not that I ever go in there) are among the few remaining venues in the metro area that allow you to enjoy a smoke. Chi Cha on U Street, too, Not sure whether either would be my first choice for a glass of port, but sometimes compromises must be made and scotch goes well with a cigar, too.

My infrequent encounters with the two suggest that Ozio is more upscale/Euro-trashy, Aroma is more old couch/hipster, and Chi Cha is more old couch/euro-hipster. YMMV

I just smoked a stogie and had a few drinks with my buddy Miami Danny at Adams Mill Bar & Grill. Of course, we were outside (it's a GREAT outdoor space, lots of activity and people watching), but with the heaters going full blast, it was quite comfortable - when it's freezing outside, however, the other places mentioned are probably a much better bet.

I just smoked a stogie and had a few drinks with my buddy Miami Danny at Adams Mill Bar & Grill. Of course, we were outside (it's a GREAT outdoor space, lots of activity and people watching), but with the heaters going full blast, it was quite comfortable - when it's freezing outside, however, the other places mentioned are probably a much better bet.

Dude. You went to Adams Mill Bar and Grill? Were you with your kickball team? Your credibility as a cocktail connoisseur will suffer accordingly. :angry:

Dude. You went to Adams Mill Bar and Grill? Were you with your kickball team? Your credibility as a cocktail connoisseur will suffer accordingly. :angry:

It's funny you say that - it's my buddy's semi-regular hang out for happy hour. But I walked in, asked for a Maker's old-fashioned (they do have sugar and bitters), and walked out with probably the giantest old-fashioned I've ever had. Too much booze, not enough ice (which might be good, cause the water in this town leaves a bit to be desired), and by the time I was done with both the drink and the cigar I had a nice buzz going.