Carpenter's Shelter Benefit at the Birchmere

I had not seen a post on this, and aside from purchasing tickets I'm not involved in any way. But the list of restaurants that will be there is impressive. For my measly $40 ticket, I'm going to eat food from The Majestic, A la Lucia, Del Merei Grille, Rustico, Jackson 20, Columbia Firehouse, and....Restaurant Eve! About 20 total restaurants, lots of activities for the kids (kids tickets are a measly $5). Plus live music. I'll be there.

Plus, according to our Board's spiritual leader, there are karma points to be scored by supporting such a worthy cause as Carpenter's Shelter. So get some...!

http://www.carpentersshelter.org/2010/02/carpenters-cook-off/

I go each year, its much more casual than say Taste of the Nation, but is a good selection of good food for a much lower price. It is family friendly with a play area for kids, and music for the adults. Usually sodas and water are free and drinks are a cash bar.

I have to say, this was a very nice event. The crowd was pleasant, the music (The Melonheads) was good, the cause was worth and the food was excellent. This event will be on my list of events that are not to be missed every year.

One of the best parts about the food tables was that a top toque was there at many of them. Eric and Mary from Del Merei were there, and I chatted with Mary about the Vienna Inn when her grandparents were in charge. The new (3 years) executive chef at Union Street Public House was there, and we chatted about his updates to the menu. The number two at Columbia Firehouse was there and we chatted about the mussels on the menu there. It was a really good time.

Highlights from a food perspective were the shrimp and grits from Del Merei; the outstanding barbecue from Pork Barrel BBQ, along with its award-winning sauce; A la Lucia's penne with meat sauce; Restaurant Eve's sweet cake with cherry topping; the sweet bites laid out by Bread and Chocolate; and (drum roll....for a surprise entry among the top dishes) the biscuit topped with sausage gravy and a slice of praline bacon from the Union Street Public House.

This was the best lunch I've had in a long time!