Baguettes

porcupine

So?

Well, neither elated nor crushed, really. The loaves got a nice oven spring and a good crust, but were pretty dense. Not inedibly so, and they had a great flavor. But they weren't baguettes.

I'm trying to figure out why they were so dense. I followed the recipe in The Bread Baker's Apprentice, and I handled the dough as little and as gently as possible in the final stages. More book work and lab work ahead, I guess. :)

proof time? kneading time? are you using steam? oven hot enough for a "spring"? a couple factors to consider :)

Proof times/amount of rise as recommended by the recipe. Kneading time as well. Steam according to the recipe (steam pan and multiple early mistings of the oven walls). 500 degree oven as per the recipe. The spring was obvious - no doubt that it happened. Although I re-calibrated my thermometer before using it, I'm suspecting that the breads were still slightly underdone, though the second one came out two minutes after the first, and the third one came out three minutes after that. The recipe stated "at least 205"; the loaves came out at 205, 207, and 210.

Like goodeats, I am not a fan of finding out that I've started a new thread. But what the heck. I sure would love to get a discussion rolling among those who've tried making baguettes at home. Here's a question: is hotter better? My oven goes up to 550 - should I give it a try?

Porcupine: Dost thou have a muslin sling in which to shape thine loaf whilst it rises?

Not that that would be all that relevant to density. I'm not enough of a fan of baguettes to bother to make my own, but are you familiar with Sam Fromatz's local rep as an excellent home-baker of baguettes and other Francocentric breads? You might try looking at his blog or online resources devoted to his efforts.