BJ's Warehouse

Saycheese

A BJ's recently opened in Arlington on Wilson Boulevard near Seven Corners. They have huge packages of meat, like racks of spare ribs and baby back ribs, various cuts of beef, etc. and fruits and vegetables. Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of the meat and produce at BJs? The food section is pretty extensive, and they carry some well known brands of organic products. Just wondering if it's worth while to get a membership if you only rarely need to buy huge quantities of things.

The beef, I know, is typical feedlot beef, but it's pretty good stuff. Choice grade, and occasionally prime. I did get two of the best rib-eye steaks I've ever prepared at home from them. I haven't bought any produce from them b/c I never need as much fresh produce of any single variety as they offer packaged up. I do find that over the course of a year, my membership squeaks by in paying for itself, even if I only go about 6-8 times a year. There are times when I need things in quantity and it's worth it for me then.

A BJ's recently opened in Arlington on Wilson Boulevard near Seven Corners. They have huge packages of meat, like racks of spare ribs and baby back ribs, various cuts of beef, etc. and fruits and vegetables. Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of the meat and produce at BJs? The food section is pretty extensive, and they carry some well known brands of organic products. Just wondering if it's worth while to get a membership if you only rarely need to buy huge quantities of things.

We have both BJ's and Costco membership. We buy paper products, cleaning materials, Keurig K-cups, electronics and "stuff" at both. You can save a fair amount of money and if you don't decide you really need 4 gallons of mayonnaise, you'll be doing okay. We find their cheese and wine selection to be varied. You can get some good prices on both but you have to shop wisely (I think that probably applies no matter where you shop). We find it to be a good choice for a number of things. YMMV.

I generally buy my pork shoulders from BJ's for slow smoked pulled pork, they also have decent baby backs that come in packages of three. As for the beef, I only usually buy a full tenderloin and finish fabricating it and portion it out for the freezer - about the same quality you can get at most of the chain grocery stores, but a whole lot less expensive. As for produce, I only buy lemons and limes from them, so far so good.

If the deal is going on for membership, then I would sign up (and I did!). For $35/$45, you get a 15-month membership + ability to use credit cards and manufacturer coupons on your purchases. Seeing how the Falls Church BJ's (it's actually on the Falls Church line of Arlington) carries some Chinese-style cakes, it was nice to see them incorporate market survey in their products.

You can also obtain a 60 day trial membership for free, no obligation and still use coupons.

Definitely not shilling for them, but just wanted to mention there's a free trial AND they don't hound you afterward (as I did 2 free trials 2 years ago and never received mailings from them until now, when I signed up).