Goat

lion

Looking for a list of farms in VA and MD that raise goats and/or that deliver to closer farmer's markets.

Planning on preparing a curry goat recipe for Christmas, and would like a very tender quality of meat,

any suggestions on a particular place would be much appreciated.

Below is my current list of local goat raising farms that have sell at markets, if my searching skills on the

forum are a bit inept, please merge the thread with the prior one.

List:

Silver Spring Market Many Rocks Farm

Mt Pleasant Market Painted Hand Farm

Unknown Marrakesh Farm

Looking for a list of farms in VA and MD that raise goats and/or that deliver to closer farmer's markets.

Planning on preparing a curry goat recipe for Christmas, and would like a very tender quality of meat,

any suggestions on a particular place would be much appreciated.

Below is my current list of local goat raising farms that have sell at markets, if my searching skills on the

forum are a bit inept, please merge the thread with the prior one.

List:

Mt Pleasant Market Painted Hand Farm

Unknown Marrakesh Farm

Painted Hand also sells at Bloomingdale. Both Mt. P and Bloomie's are shuttered for the season but Sandy is making periodic trips to sell Christmas Trees and meat to her loyal groupies. You can contact her through her website to see if she's going to make it down again before Christmas.

If you are unable to get goat at a farmers market, you can check to see if Lebanese Butcher in Falls Church has re-opened after their fire. They own their own facility in Warrenton, where goats are brought from local farms for slaughter. You can even go out there and pick out a live goat and have them "dress it out" for you while you wait. Can't get any fresher than that.

Otherwise, very fresh goat meat can be found at Halalco, which is around the corner from the Lebanese Butcher, in Falls Church.

List:

Mt. Pleasant is closed for the season. I may be biased, but I've had great success w the goat I've purchased from Many Rocks. Pedro Matamoros of 8407 kitchen bar has written a recipe just for the farmer which may be a curry--at any rate, every time he cooks it at the market, sales are high.

Thank you for the replies.

In the past, I've gone to a Halal market in Herndon which is in the same shopping center that houses K-Mart. From what I remember the cost ($7-8/lb) was pretty reasonable and the butcher cut the goats legs on premise.

However I would like to get a higher quality cut for the curry stew this year and will investigate these options.