Cacao, Patisserie in Bethesda and Cleveland Park - Closed

I've posted a few times about Cacao (apparently in other threads) and today tried to go back to the Cacao thread before realizing (thanks Don) there wasn't one. So, starting one here.

Cacao is a French pastry, chocolate, coffee and, in CP, bread and savory shop owned by Jacques Polain and Vili Lo.

I've always loved the original, more narrowly-focused location in Bethesda, where they offer just chocolates and patisserie due to restrictions put upon them by the developer (Le Quotidien is across the way from them). So, I was really excited when they opened a second outpost in Cleveland Park a few months ago where they could range farther afield. When they opened in CP, they were able to expand their offerings to include lunch items like sandwiches, soups, salads and quiches executed by a savory chef (forgetting the name) who'd been at the Willard previously. I think they really raised the quality bar and now, IMHO, offer the best coffee, baguettes, chocolates and pastries in the CP area.

Jacques is a very experienced chocolatier and pastry chef who really knows and produces chocolates and pastries of very high quality. He teaches occasional chocolate-making classes and will happily talk with anyone about his technique and sources.

I'm not as big a chocolate person as many, but really like Jacque's eclairs, certain pastries and most of the savory items. Cacao is also now my regular stop for baguettes. As I've posted elsewhere (damned if I can remember what thread that was), they're as good as any baguettes I've found yet in the DC area. The CP store has limited seating but is right next to the metro stop and several more seats now that the warm weather is here with a few outdoor tables. And, they're dog friendly, partly since Jacques has one himself B)

Of course, very important, both Jacques and Vili are wonderful people. I wish them a long, long run of much success in Cleveland Park and am very glad they're here.

Cacao is closed. As the one who started this thread, I offer a "sigh, not another small biz out" and sadness at this news.

Neither the Bethesda nor Cleveland Park locations will reopen. Bummer for Bethesda but, since there is Tout de Sweet, Fancy Cakes and Praline all in the area, it's a bigger loss for CP.

Boo.