EU Embassies' Open House

I went last year and really enjoyed it. Certain embassies (Germany comes to mind) had very long lines. Most lines moved fairly quickly, though I'd recommend getting there early if there's a certain embassy you'd really like to visit. Some have free food/drink offerings (beer tasting at the Belgian embassy, Greek food, etc.); others (Great Britain) had vendors. My favorite was the Netherlands - the Ambassador's residence is beautiful and filled with lovely art. The Ambassador herself came out to greet visitors while we were there and they were handing out stroopwafels - yum! [Note they will only be open from 10 am - 2pm.]

We're thinking about riding our bikes this year so we can get around more quickly and not have to wait for (sometimes) crowded shuttles. Don't expect to make it to all of the embassies - maybe pick your top 5 or focus on a specific cluster and you won't be disappointed.

The around the world embassy tour is the following Saturday (May 14). It's also a lot of fun - Australia was very generous with their wine, cheese, and ANZAC biscuit samples; some of the African embassies had great food; Trinidad had amazing Carnival costumes.

Go to Finland's Embassy!!!!! Gorgeous architecture, beautiful setting, gracious, amazing food and if your timing's right, a charming ambassador will drop by to welcome you.

I've heard great things about went the French and Brits put out. The lines there are too long late in the day, though, so plan accordingly.

I've heard great things about went the French and Brits put out. The lines there are too long late in the day, though, so plan accordingly.

Just got this info in an email from La Maison Française about the 3-course lunch available during the open house (reservations required):

Lunch at the Embassy of France

Enjoy a taste of France, right here in Washington DC!

Price: $30 - water and soda included

(bottled beer/wine glass: $4 - wine bottle: $18)

Timeslots: (11am-12pm; 12-1pm; 1-2pm)

Tickets: InstantSeats.com

Entrée (choice of one)

- Avocado and hearts of palm salad

- Tomato carpaccio with Maryland crab

- Country pâté

Main course (choice of one)

- Filet of sole with salmon mousse

- Duck confit

- Beef bourguignon

- Quiche lorraine

Sides (choice of two)