Very Rare Original Menus from 30-40+ Years Ago

Joe H

I have collected resetaurant menus since the mid 1960's. I have original-early- menus from several hundreds restaurants around North America and North Europe. K-Paul's the year it opened, Velligia's and Maria's 300 in '71, Three Michelin starred restaurants such as Spain's El Raco de Can Fabes, Germany's Schwarzwald Stube, Italy's Le Calandre and France's Alain Ducasse. All from 10 to 20 years ago. How about Bookbinder's from the early '70's or Jean Banchet at Le Francais in 1980. All are hard cover, original menus.

I even have a menu from Phillips Crab House in Ocean City when it was the ONLY location and it was literally a crab house. I think 1964.

Is there a market for this stuff? I've never really thought about selling them but similar to my early Uncle Scrooge and EC Comics (Mad #1)(Frazetta, Jack Davis, Wally Wood, etc.) and other artwork I wonder what kind of value they might have.

Actually remarkable what we have. Almost all in pristine mint condition. Even early French Laundry. Incredible stuff on both sides of the Atlantic.

I have collected resetaurant menus since the mid 1960's. I have original-early- menus from several hundreds restaurants around North America and North Europe. K-Paul's the year it opened, Velligia's and Maria's 300 in '71, Three Michelin starred restaurants such as Spain's El Raco de Can Fabes, Germany's Schwarzwald Stube, Italy's Le Calandre and France's Alain Ducasse. All from 10 to 20 years ago. How about Bookbinder's from the early '70's or Jean Banchet at Le Francais in 1980. All are hard cover, original menus.

I even have a menu from Phillips Crab House in Ocean City when it was the ONLY location and it was literally a crab house. I think 1964.

Is there a market for this stuff? I've never really thought about selling them but similar to my early Uncle Scrooge and EC Comics (Mad #1)(Frazetta, Jack Davis, Wally Wood, etc.) and other artwork I wonder what kind of value they might have.

Actually remarkable what we have. Almost all in pristine mint condition. Even early French Laundry. Incredible stuff on both sides of the Atlantic.

I don't know if you could sell it, but the National Archives exhibit that America Eats is "for" would probably love to have it. And I am sure they would assign a value for a tax deduction?

I don't know if you could sell it, but the National Archives exhibit that America Eats is "for" would probably love to have it. And I am sure they would assign a value for a tax deduction?

Hmm....really interesting idea. Thanks, ktoomau, for the suggestion. Appreciated.

While the archives might want it for something else down the road, the Archives exhibit is all about the government's influence and effect on American appetites. It concerns home cooking, not dining out. There isn't anything in there at this time that would be particularly appropriate for menus.

They sound awesome though, and I bet you could roll out most of that old K-Pauls one now and still pack em in.

The New York Public Library has an extensive menu collection, but mainly from an earlier period, around 90-100 years ago.

But Joe, you don't really want to part with this stuff, do you?

I may still have some early Uncle Scrooges buried somewhere myself. This brings to mind a amusement park question, which you may be uniquely qualified to address, now that we know you are an Uncle Scrooge fan. Since Uncle Scrooge was by far the best Disney character ever invented (even if it was completely the work of Carl Barks, an American genius in my humble opinion), why is it that Scrooge has never been, to my knowledge, featured in any Disney Park ride or other feature? Scrooge McDuck's Money Bin featuring the Beagle Boys, H, D, & L and the Junior Woodchuck's Handbook, seems so obvious as a theme. I've never understood it.

The New York Public Library has an extensive menu collection, but mainly from an earlier period, around 90-100 years ago.

But Joe, you don't really want to part with this stuff, do you?

I may still have some early Uncle Scrooges buried somewhere myself. This brings to mind a amusement park question, which you may be uniquely qualified to address, now that we know you are an Uncle Scrooge fan. Since Uncle Scrooge was by far the best Disney character ever invented (even if it was completely the work of Carl Barks, an American genius in my humble opinion), why is it that Scrooge has never been, to my knowledge, featured in any Disney Park ride or other feature? Scrooge McDuck's Money Bin featuring the Beagle Boys, H, D, & L and the Junior Woodchuck's Handbook, seems so obvious as a theme. I've never understood it.

No idea, John. I would guess that today he doesn't have the recognition that he once did; still, why didn't Disney do something with him decades ago? Really interesting question.