Slicing Meat for a Charcuterie Plate

winger1930

I bought some excellent cured meats from Cochon Butcher last week in New Orleans, with the idea of putting together a little charcuterie plate for the Christmas guests. Well, I realized on the way to the airport that I have no way to slice the meat. I mean, I could just take a knife and cut it up, but I don't have the knife skills to ensure thin and uniform slices.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? I have a mandolin, but I have my doubts that it will work. Has anyone ever taken meat to a deli to have them slice it? Would I just walk into my Giant across the street and ask them? I'm up in Gaithersburg, but would be willing to drive somewhere that could take care of this. Thanks!

I don't know if you're near a good ol' ethnic market, but but we've had some luck bribing New Americans to do things like saw open marrow bones, so you might try that before you hit the Giant. My guess is that finding a shop where the meat slicer is not also the owner, who might be miffed that you're not serving their fare. I feel sure that Giant has some corporate policy against this sort of thing, which could complicate efforts to bribe the deli guy (as could the presence of a line of people looking for their boiled ham).

I'm thinking I might head down to Calvert Woodley and see if they might do it, since I also need to pick up some cheese for this platter. My other thought was swinging by Whole Foods as well since it's right by me. I'll have to think of someplace that might have a meat slicer near me...I'm sure I could find something in Bethesda too. If all else fails, I'll go see you, Dave and maybe even give you a couple of slices of this stuff. It's pretty damn good!

I'm thinking I might head down to Calvert Woodley and see if they might do it, since I also need to pick up some cheese for this platter. My other thought was swinging by Whole Foods as well since it's right by me. I'll have to think of someplace that might have a meat slicer near me...I'm sure I could find something in Bethesda too. If all else fails, I'll go see you, Dave and maybe even give you a couple of slices of this stuff. It's pretty damn good!

That would be a great trade! Just PM me if you want to swing by and I'll make sure you're taken care of.