NoVA Asian markets - which one do you like?

I live in N. Arlington, close to 50/Target and (shamefully) for the first time ventured into Great Wall in Merrifield. Went nuts buying crazy mushrooms, baby bok choy and fish. I know there are others near by. Which ones do you like for variety, cleanliness and prices? Particularly interested in veggies/fruits, fresh fish and funky desserts - I got some taro root ice pops at Great Wall that I liked.

Thanks - Nancy

Super H-Mart in Fairfax is probably the biggest & best, I've also shopped at the Annandale H-Mart & El Grande, but since a Bestway opened, right around the corner, this is where I shop, for convenience. I wouldn't say it's an Asian market, more a Hispanic grocery run by Koreans, but the produce is great. Last time I went home & had to google mamoncillo, & check the differences between Mexican & Thai mangoes, limes are cheap, & pineapple, & there's a ton of queso to choose from...it's probably a question of what's convenient for you...

Super H in Fairfax (Rt. 50/29) remains consistently bright and clean. Lotte in Chantilly is huge, with good produce, but I am not as impressed by their seafood section. The new Super-H in Centreville (28/29 intersection area) was owned by another company recently and is about as nice as the Fairfax location, but a bit smaller.

My local Grand Mart on Rt. 7 in Sterling has good produce, and gets kudos for doing a very thorough disposal of perishables following the power outages. I was there today and entire sections have been emptied. I'm sure that some stores have been tempted to hedge a bit on what is perishable and what is not.

Great Wall's produce selection is impressive, but I have a hard time getting past the overall grunge factor of the store.

All I can say is *do not* go into the Grand Mart in Seven Corners. If they were rated by the health dept, they would get an F based on the last time I went in. Absolutely filthy.

Near you, beachgirl54, I usually take the drive to Great Wall for spices, sauces, snacks, veggies, and some comfort food stuff. H Mart nearby there is now my go to place for rice and simple houseware stuff. I drive to the little supermarket next to Little Saigon on Wilson Blvd if I need some things in a pinch. I was never impressed with Lotte on Route 50 and sometimes will drive to Super H in Fairfax for housewares, but I tend to find a lot between Great Wall, H Mart and the markets in Rockville.

I think the produce at Great Wall is fresher and better quality than any of the others, and the prices are typically lower as well. It's a pain to get to, though, with the Gallows Road traffic and construction. Super H in Fairfax is more convenient to my work, and they are good for GF flours and staples, but the produce has not been the best lately, and I'm tired of getting run down by scary ladies with shopping carts and attitudes. The cleanest and best stocked Indian market is called Ginger and Spice and is across from the Braddock/LRT Home Depot. Prices are very good as well. I've given up on Grand Mart due to poor quality of produce and dirty stores, but I will stop in if I'm driving past and need something I know they have.

Grand Marts seem to vary a lot by location. I agree that the one in 7 Corners was nasty the last time I went there, years ago. And the Bestway in Herndon lost my business the day I could smell the fish counter, which is in the very back of the store, the moment I walked inside.