lion

Mediterrafish

2910 District Avenue

Fairfax, VA 22031

703-992-7765

http://www.mediterrafish.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MediterraFish/138691829598547

New fresh fish market opened up in the Mosaic District. We stopped by and checked it out. The owner said his fish comes 3 times a week from the Mediterranean. The branzino, orate and red snapper looked quite fresh. Can't wait to try it out this weekend for some grilling.

Count me in as a huge fan of this place. Great addition to the area. I live in Arlington but drive right past mosaic on my way home from work each night, and so I've stopped in twice so far. Mahi Mahi the first time, scallops and salmon the second time. Everything was incredibly fresh (crystal clear eyes on all of the whole fish), reasonably priced, and delicious.

This will be a one-two punch when Red Apron opens next door.

Count me in as a huge fan of this place. Great addition to the area. I live in Arlington but drive right past mosaic on my way home from work each night, and so I've stopped in twice so far. Mahi Mahi the first time, scallops and salmon the second time. Everything was incredibly fresh (crystal clear eyes on all of the whole fish), reasonably priced, and delicious.

This will be a one-two punch when Red Apron opens next door.

I was also pleasantly surprised by how clear the fish eyes were. It immediately reminded me of the quality of fish from Blacksalt.

The owner, Bilgur (not sure I'm spelling his name correctly), said he only gets what is fresh. It's probably better to call ahead to see what's in stock.

I was surprised that the website isn't working yet, but apparently, they're doing well without it.

The owner, Bilgur (not sure I'm spelling his name correctly), said he only gets what is fresh. It's probably better to call ahead to see what's in stock.

I was surprised that the website isn't working yet, but apparently, they're doing well without it.

Really interested to learn more about this. When I was there (admittedly very early days before most anything was fully up and running), some of the few fish on offer were signed as Turkish...as in, from Turkey. How "fresh" could they be? Then again, the term "fresh" isn't indicative of anything in particular; similar to other established pablum like "natural" or, in OJ world, "not from concentrate." That said, the few things they had then did look good.

Really interested to learn more about this. When I was there (admittedly very early days before most anything was fully up and running), some of the few fish on offer were signed as Turkish...as in, from Turkey. How "fresh" could they be? Then again, the term "fresh" isn't indicative of anything in particular; similar to other established pablum like "natural" or, in OJ world, "not from concentrate." That said, the few things they had then did look good.

He said that he also had a wholesale business and got shipments 3-4 times a week. I assumed it was flown in and the reason the costs were so low was because of the wholesale business side of things. When we were there he only had four kinds of fish, one of which was salmon in the quantities of a single fillet.

The branzino and orata had crystal clear eyes and very good sheen to the scales. The only time I remember in this area where all the fish on display looked good was at Blacksalt. Granted, he has much less variety.

I don't mind having less selection if it's good quality and healthy to eat.

He said that he also had a wholesale business and got shipments 3-4 times a week. I assumed it was flown in and the reason the costs were so low was because of the wholesale business side of things. When we were there he only had four kinds of fish, one of which was salmon in the quantities of a single fillet.

The branzino and orata had crystal clear eyes and very good sheen to the scales. The only time I remember in this area where all the fish on display looked good was at Blacksalt. Granted, he has much less variety.

I don't mind having less selection if it's good quality and healthy to eat.

Thanks, lion. Reacting to your 3 thoughts above:

On the first, not sure. Sounds a bit squirrelly in terms of the economics (along with the sourcing decision with so much great seafood closer?) but will become clearer once they firing on all cylinders.

On the 2nd and 3rd (quality and more focused selection), totally agree.

Thanks again.