Smithsonian Magazine - Food Edition

jayandstacey

The June 2013 issue of the Smithsonian Magazine is devoted to food topics. The website isn't set up like the print edition...so you sort of have to pick up a printed copy. It is worth the effort.

The articles are science-leaning and there are no restaurant reviews. They include a meal/chat with Michael Pollan, Mimi Sheraton's Top 10 dining experiences, the science of why we like what we like, the story behind the hottest pepppers, brothers reviving an historic candy shop, etc.

Good stuff; essentially a collection of decent and varied essays around food topics.

• Like 1

There's also a charming new poem by Smithsonian's contributing poet, Billy Collins, titled "Pineapple".

It is charming, but that's what the "poet-cum-artist" gets for confusing a "still life" with a "landscape." I claim that with a greater knowledge of art, this poet wouldn't have written this poem! (Don't I sound like a Washington Post commenter? :))

It is charming, but that's what the "poet-cum-artist" gets for confusing a "still life" with a "landscape." I claim that with a greater knowledge of art, this poet wouldn't have written this poem! (Don't I sound like a Washington Post commenter? :))

I read it less as "confusing" and more as willful defiance of form/norm originating from rule-breaking whimsy.

I can relate...

-Mischieftain