Pot Racks

mhberk

My kitchen is REALLY starting to run out of cabinet space! Between all my pots, pans, and small appliances, there really isn't much room for anything else.

Where can I get a reasonably priced (<$400) pot rack? I'm looking for one that hangs from the ceiling that is either oval or rectangle.

Thanks in advance!

Here's what I'd do: start with the usual suspects-Container Store, Crate and Barrel, Williams Sonoma, Sur la Table. Once you've found the size/style you prefer, you might be able to find something like it online for less.

I have the same problem, but don't have a high enough ceiling for a large rack. I bought a single-row pot rack at Container Store and hung it in front of a window between the kitchen and porch. I'm thinking about installing a pegboard (a-la Julia Child's kitchen) on a blank space of wall opposite my stove top, to hang other stuff. The space is too narrow for shelves or cabinets. I miss the days when we lived in a loft, and Jonathan built me a kitchen with a twelve foot long, four foot wide counter with room for stools on one side, and cabinets with rolling wire drawers and shelves inside on the other side. I had enough space on other counters so that my Kitchen-Aid mixer and bread machine could sit out all the time, along with the Cuisinart, blender, espresso machine, toaster oven, toaster and microwave. And I could spread out plates and trays and roll out pastry on my big counter, and use it as a buffet when we had parties. People could sit and hang out and drink and nibble stuff on one side of the big counter, while I worked on the other side. Where we live now, the kitchen space was designed to be big enough only for someone who didn't do much cooking.

Edited by zoramargolis

I got mine at Crate and Barrel for about 170 bucks about 2 years ago when we moved into our home. The previous owners had a 700 dollar rack which was beautiful, but I don't think we miss a beat with our bargain rack. So to speak. I wasn't able to link a pic of it in my kitchen, but suffice to say, it's quite good looking.

Here's a link to it in CnB:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?...01&SearchPage=1

Edited by monavano

I know that La Cuisine in Alexandria carries a variety of shapes and sizes, although you have to browse through a catalog and have it ordered. There were definitely some for under $400, although probably on the smaller size.

I got a new $250 enclume rack on Craigslist for $50. It doesn't look like there is any of what you are looking for available now, but it may be worth it to check back often. Hanging racks seem to be the kind of thing that may not work after moving into a new place or seem like a good idea to register for, but that you never end up using. We benefitted from the latter.

I got a Enclume dutch crown round brass plated pot rack on Ebay (worth about $400-600 depending on what website you go to) for $25. It was being sold by a Kitchen store and was used as a display. It was in perfect condition. I was estatic when I got it. You can really find some bargains on Ebay if you're patient (and lucky)!

I made my pot rack from a remnant of 4x4 landscape timber and some large screw hooks from Home Depot. It's got rustic good looks and cost <$10 (originally <$5, but I have since added more hooks).

Because I cook in a relatively tight galley kitchen, I was able to "mount" the rack simply by laying the timber so that it spans the space over the window between two kitchen cabinets.

I got a Enclume dutch crown round brass plated pot rack on Ebay (worth about $400-600 depending on what website you go to) for $25. It was being sold by a Kitchen store and was used as a display. It was in perfect condition. I was estatic when I got it. You can really find some bargains on Ebay if you're patient (and lucky)!

[/quote

That is an absolutely beautiful pot rack that, in brass, lists for over $700. What you've saved will allow you to buy All Clad copper clad "seconds" for about 40% off at this website: http://www.cookwarenmore.com/display.php?cat=49&zid=1&lid= Williams Sonoma has an outlet in Leesburg where they sell All Clad for about 25% or so off.

All Clad also has a biannual factory sale in Canonsberg, PA (south of Pittsburgh near Washington, PA) where seconds go for HALF PRICE OR LESS. I know because about five years ago I drove up there in the winter and bought a 16 quart LTD stock pot for $150. Bloomingdale's wanted about $400 for it. I also bought a lot of other pieces for myself as well as a half dozen neighbors and friends. Anyway, the above link is about as good as you'll do on the internet. If you make the drive in mid to late May to Canonsberg you'll save more and can look over the pieces in person. Still, regardless of what you hang from it I am jealous!!! You have the deal of a lifetime! Congratulations!