Greenhook Ginsmiths American Dry Gin, Greenpoint, Brooklyn, NY

DonRocks

Is anyone able to tell me why this gin is so bad?

94 proof, perhaps, as opposed to the otherworldly, 86 proof Jensen's London Dry Gin?

These aren't "botanicals"; these are "medicinals."

I made the fatal error of opening a bottle of this tonight, giving it one more chance, thinking it might make for a good "mixing" gin.

I was wrong. It overpowers *everything* with an almost eau-de-vie like scent - I really shouldn't use the words "scent" or "aroma" when "smell" is a much more appropriate descriptor of what this nose is.

This gin is just plain gross. I hate it.

Perhaps this is a "stylistic" preference - the first time I ever had the disgusting, 94 proof Death's Door, I had the same reaction.

Some bartenders love the stuff; I can't imagine a worse clear fluid that doesn't begin with a "V".

Jensen's London Dry Gin is the greatest gin I've ever tasted - for my palate.

I'm willing to accept criticism such as "Yeah, Don, well, you just don't *like* the style of gins that smell like drain cleaner, and you're searching for a more "˜bland,' 'British' style."

Fair enough. I have about 730ml left of my bottle. Would anyone like it? Free of charge.

• Like 1

Yikes! :(

FWIW, while Death's Door isn't my "go-to", a certain gin expert whose name rhymes with "Lon May-Beck" once told me he thought it was good tonic gin.

As for the Greenhook, well, I.....um...think we need to get you a new option.

Joe, any good retailer has to calibrate to a customer's palate. It takes time. :)

Obviously, I'm not an American Gin Maggot. :lol: Count me in the 80 Proof, light-botanical camp. :)