Smithsonian "Food Writing for Food Lovers" Seminar

dcfoodie

I hope this isn't off topic but...

Someone left a comment on my site notifying me about the Food Writing for Food Lovers seminar being held by the Smithsonian Resident Associate Program. I thought it sounded like it would be pretty interesting and educational, so I figured I would post something here about it as well just to give everyone a heads up.

Just a quick summary:

The seminar will go from 10 AM to 4PM on Saturday, July 16th and will feature two sessions, led by Dianne Jacob, author of Will Write for Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Restaurant Reviews, Articles, Memoir, Fiction, and More. After the two sessions, there will be a panel discussion with Kim Severson from the New York Times, Tom Sietsema from The Post, and Jeffrey Steingarten from Vogue Magazine.

Info about the event on the Resident Associates web site.

Wait....Seitsema is going to appear in public? Somebody get that man a Nixon mask!

I was surprised to hear that as well. He'll probably be behind a screen and have a voice modulator so we can't hear his voice. I mean, I'd love to know what he looks like just so I would know if I was sitting next to him at a restaurant.

I was surprised to hear that as well. He'll probably be behind a screen and have a voice modulator so we can't hear his voice. I mean, I'd love to know what he looks like just so I would know if I was sitting next to him at a restaurant.

No voice modulator. You can hear him every Thursday or Friday (forget which) on WTOP when he does a bit with the "Man About Town".

This event seems so overpriced... and really, isn't the best way to learn how to be a good writer of any sort to practice? Ah well. I'm sure it will help some; this is just my knee-jerk reaction to any sort of writing class kicking in. Besides, to paraphrase Elvis Costello, writing about food is like drinking about architecture....

which doesn't sound so bad.

Has anyone ever been to a Smithsonian Resident Associate program - or ever heard of it? I agree the pricetag is a bit high. But it could be interesting. I'm considering it - just not sure if it's worth the time/money.

Thanks, Jason, for getting it out there.

Has anyone ever been to a Smithsonian Resident Associate program - or ever heard of it? I agree the pricetag is a bit high. But it could be interesting. I'm considering it - just not sure if it's worth the time/money.

Thanks, Jason, for getting it out there.

Kind of off topic, but I have taken several classes through the RA program and they were worth the money. Granted the classes were in Art History so it does not directly relate. Check out the program, it is only $19 for an individual to join and you get a good break on the price. For this one it is only $85 instead of $130.