Archbishop Carroll High School, 4300 Harewood Road NE - One Of The Nation's Original Basketball Powerhouses

DaveO

John Thompson played on one of the first high school basketball teams that was nationally publicized for its record and dominance.  It was Archbishop Carroll back I believe in 1958-1960.  A number of those players achieved tremendous success and fame in various careers besides basketball.   At one point in the early 1980's I worked with a colleague who was either a starter or possibly 6th man on the 1960 team that finished the year undefeated.  He was one or two years younger than John Thompson.   We worked on some real estate deals together.  We were "suits"

As we traveled together through DC and met with various people I was astounded at his fame, recognition and local "cred".  He was not one of the stars of those teams but he was still well recognized.

He may well have played a lot of street ball in DC during those years in the early early 60's and later.  That connection did wonders for him over the years.

ith all due respect to the Redskins, high school basketball was a huge deal in the D. C. area in the late '50's and '60's.  High school football wasn't too shabby either with literal 50,000 (serious, real #) crowds at RFK for the city championship.  The Carrol teams were a legend.  DeMatha and Morgan Wooten ('Blair) picked up where they left off.

John Thompson played on one of the first high school basketball teams that was nationally publicized for its record and dominance.  It was Archbishop Carroll back I believe in 1958-1960.  A number of those players achieved tremendous success and fame in various careers besides basketball.   At one point in the early 1980's I worked with a colleague who was either a starter or possibly 6th man on the 1960 team that finished the year undefeated.  He was one or two years younger than John Thompson.   We worked on some real estate deals together.  We were "suits"

I had a long post that, somehow, I found a way to accidentally erase before posting it.  Bottom line:

Carroll and its 55 game winning streak with John Thompson, George Leftwich and Monk Milloy (the President of Notre Dame) 

I researched my old friend and work colleague, Kenny Price.  He played on the two Archbishop Carroll teams from '58-60.  He was evidently not a starter, but was a member of both teams, averaging about 8 pts/game in his senior year and less in his jr. year.  or maybe sophomore and junior years.  (not sure when he graduated).

In the earlish 80's we had a basketball team of co-workers and colleagues.  There were some good players there.  Kenny was easily the most talented basketball player.  He also had to be in his early 40's yet was still better/more basketball talented than anyone else.

I recall marveling at the recognition and "cred" he had as we worked/"navigated"/networked through various folks in DC from a business perspective.  Long time DC natives knew him, acknowledged him, and gave him a certain level of respect.  I'm sure it had to do with being a member of those awesome teams.

I do believe that was the first high school basketball powerhouse from anywhere that gained national recognition.

I researched my old friend and work colleague, Kenny Price.  He played on the two Archbishop Carroll teams from '58-60.  He was evidently not a starter, but was a member of both teams, averaging about 8 pts/game in his senior year and less in his jr. year.  or maybe sophomore and junior years.  (not sure when he graduated).

Your friend graduated in 1960, and was voted into the Archbishop Carroll Hall Of Fame in 2009.

Does anyone recognize the name of the first inductee into the 2008 Hall Of Fame? Hint: Glenmont.

In case anyone's wondering why John Thompson didn't get elected until 2009, it looks like in 2007 (the first year), two founding inductees were made: (Dr. Maurice "Maus" W. Collins, Carroll's legendary football coach who passed away that year, and Robert "Bob" I. Dwyer, Carroll's legendary basketball coach who incidentally coached Warren Buffet (yes, that Warren Buffet) at Woodrow Wilson H.S.), then in 2008, people who graduated in the 1950s only, then in 2009, people who also graduated in the 1960s - at least that's my guess (it's the only thing that makes sense, and if true, I like the reverence paid to the older folks first - it's one thing we don't have enough of in this country).

I also have my own John Thompson story (it's such a kick for me to see athletes out of their element). This is back towards, perhaps slightly after, the end of his tenure as Georgetown coach - I was walking into Pentagon City mall from a side entrance, and right before me, hobbling with his injured foot in a walking boot, was the enormous John Thompson. I ran forward and held the door open for him without saying a word, but despite my silence, I was absolutely thrilled. Incidentally, his successor as Georgetown's coach, Craig Esherick, is one of my brother's good friends (they graduated together from high school, and still keep in touch) - other than being coach at Georgetown, Esherick is best known (as a player for Georgetown) for drilling a 35-footer at the buzzer that helped defeat GWU. It is no surprise that he's on the list of "Top 10 'White Guy' Montgomery Country Shooters of the 70s." It's also no surprise that 3 of the top 5 are from Springbrook, and that can be explained by one reason, and one reason only: Eddie Peterson. Even Buzzy Braman - perhaps the greatest pure shooter in the history of basketball (yes, I said that, and I mean it, too, and yes, that includes people like Larry Bird and Kevin Durant (*)) - will tell you that he owes it all to Eddie Peterson. This e-book - "The Great Book Of Washington, DC Sports Lists" would appeal to about 100 people total, but to those 100 people, it's pure gold. Please do the authors a favor and BUY IT - they deserve something for having compiled these incredible lists - they know what they're talking about, and this book is a vital part of Washington, DC history. Although I've never seen the entire thing, what little I have seen, I cannot praise enough.

(*) For the non-believers, this is but a small sample:

• Like 1

Your friend graduated in 1960, and was voted into the Archbishop Carroll Hall Of Fame in 2009.

Does anyone recognize the name of the first inductee into the 2008 Hall Of Fame? Hint: Glenmont.

In case anyone's wondering why John Thompson didn't get elected until 2009, it looks like in 2007 (the first year), two founding inductees were made: (Dr. Maurice "Maus" W. Collins, Carroll's legendary football coach who passed away that year, and Robert "Bob" I. Dwyer, Carroll's legendary basketball coach who incidentally coached Warren Buffet (yes, that Warren Buffet) at Woodrow Wilson H.S.), then in 2008, people who graduated in the 1950s only, then in 2009, people who also graduated in the 1960s - at least that's my guess (it's the only thing that makes sense, and if true, I like the reverence paid to the older folks first - it's one thing we don't have enough of in this country).

Thanks Don.  I didn't know those details.  Of course I knew him in the '80's and the school hall of fame wasn't created till way later.

Does anyone recognize the name of the first inductee into the 2008 Hall Of Fame? Hint: Glenmont.

In case anyone's wondering why John Thompson didn't get elected until 2009, it looks like in 2007 (the first year), two founding inductees were made: (Dr. Maurice "Maus" W. Collins, Carroll's legendary football coach who passed away that year, and Robert "Bob" I. Dwyer, Carroll's legendary basketball coach who incidentally coached Warren Buffet (yes, that Warren Buffet) at Woodrow Wilson H.S.), then in 2008, people who graduated in the 1950s only, then in 2009, people who also graduated in the 1960s - at least that's my guess (it's the only thing that makes sense, and if true, I like the reverence paid to the older folks first - it's one thing we don't have enough of in this country).

Although logic and order suggest your idea is on target with regard to who got inducted and in what order, I noticed a different phenomena in a different high school with regard to who gets inducted and when...in fact my high school.  It too has a hall of fame.  I chanced upon it.

I was a wee bit surprised to see various nominees.  It includes a variety of people and grads beyond sports stars in high school.  But why were certain players and teams nominated in the later years and not some others???

Well its because the folks heading the committee nominated their friends.  LOL.

I noticed the baseball team from my graduating year being nominated.  Two guys from that team also were in the hall of fame.  Jeepers;  they were good friends of the guy who heads the nominating committee.  ....ah they were good...but not that good.  I was friendly with them also.

But...c'est la vie.  I'm not involved.  I have no call to beef.   Just saying that these different nominations could come from different perspectives than logic, from history, or any other reasonable assumption.   ;)