"Andrew Wyeth: Looking Out, Looking In" - Focusing On Wyeth's Paintings of Windows, At The National Gallery of Art (May 4 - Nov 30, 2014)

Tweaked

"Andrew Wyeth: Looking Out, Looking In" now at the National Gallery until November 30, 2014.  Call this show a retrospective of Wyeth's love of windows centered around his work Wind from the Sea.  So, yes be prepared for room after room of moody atmospheric paintings of windows.  What you are really looking for are the little moments - the gnarled wood of a window frame, the lines of leafless branches, the rough surface of stone, the winter light.  It's a beautiful show...just a lot of windows. 

• Like 3

We were meeting friends to see the Garry Winogrand exhibit at the other end of the museum.  Having arrived early, we spent our time in the Wyeth exhibit.  It is a beautiful show.  Unfortunately, I only got to see the first two rooms -- I was captivated by Wind from the Sea and found it hard to move on from that room.  I really enjoyed all of the studies on display that were precursors to the painting.  And, gazing at that painting, I could feel the breeze on my face and smell the dust in the room from not having been inhabited in such a long time. It was highly evocative for me of times in my childhood.  Planning to return to see the rest of the exhibit very soon.  

(And by the way, the Garry Winogrand exhibit was fantastic.  Unfortunately, it closed last Sunday.)

• Like 1