Three Chefs: Bourdain, Andres, Richard

purplesachi

Did anyone else happen to attend the Smithsonian Resident Associates "Three Chefs: Anthony Bourdain, Jose Andres, and Michel Richard" at the Department of Interior last night? I thought it was great, and my favorite quote of the night came from Anthony Bourdain regarding Rachel Ray's $40 a day show, "Try Tipping Bitch!" hahahaha

I think that was easily the best quote of the night. Though really amusing to see how much they liked Nigella. I have to say I gained new found respect for her when hearing about the aborted pig fetus.

Is it wrong that when I heard that, my first thought was 'wow! i'd really love to try that!'?

My wife and I had a good time last night. I was thinking exactly what Anthony Bourdain said when he said, "If I am the best-behaved person on this panel, then we have a serious problem." Was Jose Andres drunk? Or is he always like that?

I'm wondering if that young woman who asked for advice on how to quit her job posts on here....

hmph. i had this feeling that someone was going to go up to the mic and try to get a job from michel richard or jose andres. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

when colman andrews asked the either or "prosciutto or jamon serrano" (was that the question? it was hard for me to hear) and m.richard chose the jamon serrano and j.andres got up and kissed him on the forehead, did anyone else think that m.richard looked offended?

i also thought it was great that when jose andres walked out, he was carrying the bottle of wine and plate of food, and even went back to get more during the discussion. i think he's like that all the time. i went to minibar in september, and he came out and he seemed like a pretty jovial person.

there were a series of either/ors that colman andrews threw out to the chefs. mcdonalds or burger king? white truffle or black truffle? martha stewart or nigella lawson? all three chefs obviously chose the latter, and AB recounted a story about how he and a bunch of other male chefs were sitting around with nigella, trying to gross her out by telling her weird things they had eaten (cobra's heart was one i seem to recall). but nigella wasn't grossed out, and in fact, the boys loved her even more when she told them she had eaten an aborted pig fetus.

there were a series of either/ors that colman andrews threw out to the chefs. mcdonalds or burger king? white truffle or black truffle? martha stewart or nigella lawson? all three chefs obviously chose the latter, and AB recounted a story about how he and a bunch of other male chefs were sitting around with nigella, trying to gross her out by telling her weird things they had eaten (cobra's heart was one i seem to recall). but nigella wasn't grossed out, and in fact, the boys loved her even more when she told them she had eaten an aborted pig fetus.

Okay, sorry I asked. She's still hot, though. :)

Haha... interesting that no one has mentioned Jose Andres toothbrushing comment. Someone in the audience asked what would they rather give up, exquisite food or sex. Jose Andres mumbled something about having to brush your teeth after both. A lot of people in the audience were pretty confused to which he responded that there were kids in the audience.

I think Michel Richard pretended to be shocked by Jose's kiss. I also enjoyed the comment from Bourdain about how when kids ask why they can't cook food like Sandra Lee, "Sorry, but we don't have Cheez Whiz in the house."

Michel and Jose seemed pretty supportive of the girl who asked for a job (and who I personally found a little grating). Meanwhile, Anthony Bourdain seemed pretty annoyed.

For your amusement--or horror.

I really, really don't know how I feel about this article. It doesn't tell me anything didn't know before, and I'd already read about Chef Richard's wedding cake shenanigans but this takes it to a level that I'm very uncomfortable with. Maybe its my squeamishness coupled with the fact that I try to not be "that customer" who gets his food... um... adulterated. But this really makes me wonder.

And respect Chef Andres for at the very least keeping mum.

K

I really, really don't know how I feel about this article. It doesn't tell me anything didn't know before, and I'd already read about Chef Richard's wedding cake shenanigans but this takes it to a level that I'm very uncomfortable with. Maybe its my squeamishness coupled with the fact that I try to not be "that customer" who gets his food... um... adulterated. But this really makes me wonder.

And respect Chef Andres for at the very least keeping mum.

K

I'm more scared that Andres didn't say anything. He must have done something worse. Hmm... makes you think twice about eating anything not prepared in the open or by oneself.

I'm more scared that Andres didn't say anything. He must have done something worse. Hmm... makes you think twice about eating anything not prepared in the open or by oneself.

From a bad personal experience I think it might have been better for Andres not to open his mouth.