"Strandbeests" - The Kinetic Sculptures of Theo Jansen (1948-), Coming to Both Coasts of the U.S.A. for a Two-Year Tour

Tweaked

Strandbeests are the kinetic sculptures of Dutch artist Theo Jansen.  Created out of PVC piping, chords, and plastic sheeting, the beests march across the wind swept beaches of Scheveningen, Netherlands.

From Dec. 3-7, 2014, Jansen will be bringing his creations to Art Basel Miami Beach.

The presentation at Art Basel Miami Beach will be a preview for his first major US tour, with stops in NYC, Los Angeles, and Chicago during September 2015.

But really you need to watch them to believe them:  Video

Tweaked, thanks as always for your interesting, informative posts - I've been fascinated by these since I first saw them a couple of years ago. This article:

"Theo Jansen's Lumbering Life Forms Arrive In America" by Lawrence Weschler on nytimes.com seems to have some discrepancies in the dates - can you check them out and verify them? This might be worth a trip for me.

I am *always* interested in your Art posts, no matter how trivial they seem to you, so you're promised at least one devoted fan!

As Tweaked says, even if you have no interest in making the journey, do yourself a favor and watch the video.

Yeah, I read the NY Times piece over the weekend, and it's a fascinating article, but the writer did seem a bit confused on the dates.

Per the Peabody Essex Museum website (they are the museum sponsoring the Strandbeest trip to America):

Debuting at Art Basel Miami Beach | December 3"“7, 2014

Daily Events Schedule

Open to the public 1 PM to 8 PM (Closing at 4 PM on December 5)
Daily demonstrations of the Strandbeests by Theo Jansen at 10:30 AM and 4:30 PM
Oceanfront Miami Beach Drive, Between 21st & 22nd Streets

In 2015, the Peabody Essex Museum kicks off the first U.S. tour featuring Theo Jansen's famed kinetic sculptures. Dynamic and interdisciplinary, Jansen's Strandbeests (beach animals) blur the lines between art and science, sculpture and performance. The exhibition will celebrate the thrill of the Strandbeests' unique locomotion as well as the processes that have driven their evolutionary development on the Dutch seacoast. The exhibition will premiere at PEM in Fall 2015, then travel to Chicago, San Francisco and New York City.

So Art Basel Miami this weekend, U.S. tour starting Fall 2015 (PEM's website has the show scheduled Sept. 12, 2015-Dec. 31, 2015).  I'm not sure when/where the Chicago, SF, and NYC events will occur.

Per the Peabody Essex Museum website (they are the museum sponsoring the Strandbeest trip to America):

Debuting at Art Basel Miami Beach | December 3"“7, 2014

Daily Events Schedule

Open to the public 1 PM to 8 PM (Closing at 4 PM on December 5)

Daily demonstrations of the Strandbeests by Theo Jansen at 10:30 AM and 4:30 PM

Oceanfront Miami Beach Drive, Between 21st & 22nd Streets

I wonder if they'll need to break them down and reassemble them for the journey. Our own sak2001 works at NGA, and has transported valuable paintings to Europe (obviously *much* simpler than "Strandbeests") - even that is an ordeal, so I can't imagine how much trouble this will be.

I wonder if they'll need to break them down and reassemble them for the journey. Our own sak2001 works at NGA, and has transported valuable paintings to Europe (obviously *much* simpler than "Strandbeests") - even that is an ordeal, so I can't imagine how much trouble this will be.

My gf works for NMWA and they are about to open a large exhibit featuring works from a museum in Rome...trying getting a Caravaggio across the pond - insurance, permits, transportation, couriers, and an armed guard at all times.