Dakota Staton (1930-2007), American Jazz Singer from Pittsburgh - Popular in the 1950s and 1960s

The Hersch

Dakota Staton was a jazz/pop diva who never made it really big, but was important within her orbit. "The Late, Late Show" in 1957 was her first and biggest success, but she recorded lots of wonderful stuff afterwards, such as the remarkable album "Madame Foo-Foo" with the terrific Hammond organ player Groove Holmes in 1972, featuring the song "Deep in a Dream". I used to have almost all her stuff on vinyl, but that's all gone now. Sigh.

"The Late, Late Show" in 1957 was her first and biggest success

I really like the chromatic descending chords in broken, minor thirds in "The Late, Late Show."

This song was written by David Cavanaugh and Roy Alfred, and was covered by Nat King Cole on his 1959 album, "Welcome to the Club" - it is Cole's version that is featured as the closing theme on the Irish (repeat: Irish) television program, "The Late, Late Show" which premiered on July 6, 1962. The song was used until 1999.

The American series, "The Late, Late Show" didn't premier until 1995, and was created by David Letterman. I think it would be a nice, circular touch if they began using Dakota Staton's version of the song as their closing theme. Does anyone know if Staton was the first person ever to record it?

"Dakota Staton - Soulful Jazz Singer with a Unique Style and Husky Tone" on swingmusic.net

Is her last name pronounced with a long or short a? (Does it rhyme with George Patton or Walter Payton?)

I really like the chromatic descending chords in broken, minor thirds in "The Late, Late Show."

This song was written by David Cavanaugh and Roy Alfred, . Does anyone know if Staton was the first person ever to record it?

I think the song was written by Roy Alfred and Murray Berlin; so says this Wikipedia article.

I don't know if Dakota Staton's 1957 recording was the first of this song ever, but I can't find any reference to an earlier one, so it probably was.

Enjoy Dakota singing "Let Me Off Uptown". I had a Dakota Staton LP with a different version of this, but I can't find an online copy of that recording. This one will obviously do.

• Like 1

I just posted a link to June Christy singing "Give Me the Simple Life" in a thread on Ms. Christy I just started. I first became aware of this song, I believe, when it was used in a Campbell's Soup commercial (in about 1977) as "Give Me the Campbell Life" (yes, really). Then I heard Dakota Staton singing it on her wonderful album "The Late Late Show", which you can hear here, recorded long before but never heard by me until the late 70s.

Don, you asked up above how Dakota Staton's surname was pronounced. I've always pronounced it to rhyme with Dayton, and I find that pronunciation validated in this NYT obit.

Wow, while I've been familiar with your other singers I'm completely unfamiliar with her. Very strong voice!!! I can only imagine that she was a great nightclub performer. How cool. Tx. I'll share this find. Thanks again.

Wow, while I've been familiar with your other singers I'm comoletely unfamiliar with her. Very stfong voice!!! I can only imagine that she was a great nightclub performer. How cool. Tx. I'll share this find. Thanks again.

Glad you like Dakota Staton's work. As a bonus for being so nice, you get "I Did Everything Right with the Wrong Man" which could probably serve as the story of my life, and I imagine a lot of others'.

• Like 1