"Pathmakers: Women in Art, Craft, and Design, Midcentury and Today," - Oct 30, 2015 - Feb 28, 2016 at the National Museum of Women in the Arts

Tweaked

I went to the opening for Pathmakers: Women in Art, Craft, and Design, Midcentury and Today, an exhibit held in collaboration with the Museum of Arts and Design and the National Museum of Women in the Arts.

If modern, contemporary design from the 1950s and 1960s is your thing than you will enjoy this show.  Highlights for me included works by Ruth Asawa, Eva Zeisel, and Magdalene Odundo.

This is one of those quiet shows that will probably go unseen by many, but showcases the work of women arts, many of whom were shutout of painting and sculpture, and instead focused on alternative materials like textiles, ceramics, and metals.

Okay, I have to come right out and ask: given all we have to see and do here in DC, is this worth seeing and doing?

I'm every bit as much for women in the arts as I am for men in the arts, but there's nothing I read here that calls to me, and honestly, it sounds almost boring ... convince me otherwise?

Absolutely! But it does help if you have an interest in design.

The exhibit features some fascinating artists such as Ruth Asawa, who credited her development as an artist to her time spent in a Japanese-American internment camp during World War II.  Her tied wire sculptures are beautiful.  Or Christine Nofchissey McHorse, a groundbreaking Navajo artist who has modernized traditional pottery techniques to create abstract, modern sculpture.  This show features a wonderful array of materials, techniques, and forms.

My suggestion:  go view the exhibit on the first Sunday of the month for free admission (December 6, January 3, February 7) and then wander over to the newly renovated Renwick (re-opens this week).  Two wonderful small art museums just blocks away from each other.  And if you go Dec. 6, the National Christmas Tree with be up, so you know, you can spend an entire afternoon downtown.