Moving wine cross-country (about 30 cases)

ScotteeM

In anticipation of relocating to the Denver, CO, area within the year, we are looking at shipping our wine collection, which comprises about 30 cases of very nice wines, Port, Madeira, and half-bottles which are mainly German.

We've identified a shipping company that uses climate-controlled trucks, The Wine Cellarage in Bronx, NY. But we have to package the wine for shipping.

Is there any reason to not use regular wine cases that we would get from a wine store (with the inserts)? Do we need to purchase special packaging for the wines? If so, what works best?

Any and all recommendations based on experience will be much appreciated!

1 hour ago, ScotteeM said:

In anticipation of relocating to the Denver, CO, area within the year, we are looking at shipping our wine collection, which comprises about 30 cases of very nice wines, Port, Madeira, and half-bottles which are mainly German.

We've identified a shipping company that uses climate-controlled trucks, The Wine Cellarage in Bronx, NY. But we have to package the wine for shipping.

Is there any reason to not use regular wine cases that we would get from a wine store (with the inserts)? Do we need to purchase special packaging for the wines? If so, what works best?

Any and all recommendations based on experience will be much appreciated!

If you can find styrofoam shippers, they work better (and fit inside) boxes. I have some if you have some really expensive wines that need protection. 

Madeira, you can leave in your trunk. :)

So you and leleboo are starting a Denver forum for us, right? ;)

• Like 1

A query to our shipping company brought the response that we should use styrofoam-lined boxes for all of our wine, and not re-use regular wine cases, because we are shipping cross-country. Seems to apply even to Madeira. I guess there are limits to the temperature controls. 

Not all wine bottles fit the molded styrofoam liners that I've seen on line. Time to do more research and get creative, unless anyone with experience has any other thoughts.

Some of the boxes from wine shipped to me have heavy cardboard layers which seem more flexible for magnums and 1/2 bottles.  I typically recycle those while keeping a few Styrofoam inserts around

My suggest is to have a party with the goal of consuming your wine while everyone has to bring an empty shipping box.

• Like 1