Shawn Bradley (1972-) - German-Born, Utah-Bred, Seven-Foot, Six-Inch NBA Center and Star at BYU

DaveO

On 11/20/2017 at 3:52 PM, DonRocks said:

(*) I distinctly remember the Program from the Capital Classic that year (though I think my brother absconded with it!) - Earvin Johnson (a 6'9" center from Lansing, MI) had a bio-sketch that I remember the beginning of word-for-word: "Great enthusiasm - cheerleader type. Says he would love to play guard one day ...."

Don: You have referenced the Capital Classic several times.  I never attended one of those games.  I have a Reference to those players, though.  (Had to research this to get the year).

In 1990 I was at a Bullets game that must have been played the day before or after The Capital Classic.  At halftime I was on the concourse level when approaching me was a “gaggle” of incredibly tall, remarkably skinny young men.  They were the players from the Capital Classic that year.

As tall as they were there was one guy who was an astonishing head and shoulders taller than the next tallest players.  A “freaky” tall giant among giants.  It was Shawn Bradley, at 7’6”, one of the tallest people in the world and one of the 5 or 6 tallest players in NBA history.

Freaky tall; stunning. I’ve spent a fair amount of time with a family friend who is 6’7” or 6-8.  He is my brother’s life long friend and someone I’ve known since I was about 7 or 8.  

Shawn Bradley simply dwarfed the players who were 6-7, 6-8, 6-10 or so.  Freaky giant in scope.  Probably ordered twice the number of beers I’d normally purchase at the concession stand. 😏

Closest I ever got to the Capital Classic

3 hours ago, DaveO said:

Shawn Bradley simply dwarfed the players who were 6-7, 6-8, 6-10 or so.  Freaky giant in scope.  Probably ordered twice the number of beers I’d normally purchase at the concession stand. 😏

I would bet big money that Shawn Bradley didn't order more beer than you. :)

24 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I would bet big money that Shawn Bradley didn't order more beer than you. :)

That guy...that tall.  I was stunned.  Its not like seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time, but my goodness...what a giant.  Unforgettable.  He was so much taller than a group of extremely tall people.  I still recall the sight.

Bradley:  Underage, probably a Mormon, plus my drinking habits, plus the stunning impact and a reaction that led to upping my drinks for the 2nd half, I would agree...he drank less than me. 

BTW:  With that year, Bernard King was playing for the Bullets at the time.  The Bullets generally sucked.  Wes Unseld was coach.  The team was miserable.  B King, though, was still an effective scorer.  Whereas before his injury he was essentially a jump shooter, when he played for the Bullets he had changed his game; he was a driver.  He was still uniquely effective.  HIs offensive moves were very quick and decisive.  He had a great instinct for scoring. 

His injury was a curse on the Knicks.  If he and Ewing had played together they would have had two stars.  What a pity.

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

Bradley:  Underage, probably a Mormon, plus my drinking habits, plus the stunning impact and a reaction that led to upping my drinks for the 2nd half, I would agree...he drank less than me. 

He's a devout Mormon - did missionary work (he doesn't drink, or at least he didn't). Think about this: He's only three-inches taller than Porzingis - my, how times have changed. Bradley did well to shoot a turnaround five-footer; Porzingis is bringing the ball up the court, and nailing threes.

Incidentally, speaking of the Capital Classic, I saw Muggsy Bogues play in it one year. The DC team *beat* the US team, and Bogues (who was one of two people from Baltimore allowed to play for DC) was named MVP of the game - it was incredible watching him hawking the ball, twisting and turning, dishing off pass-after-pass while flying through the lane. I don't think I would want to race that guy in a suicide run.

1999-Shawn-Bradley-Muggsy-Bogues.jpg bogues.jpg